Fly Fusion Forums

Tubes And Bulltrout Flies?

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Was recommended today that if im going to tie big bully flies, that i would be better off using tubes, as you can put the hook further back, and not have the big shank (like of a long shank, or carrie stevens style hook) that can act as a lever and just pop out a lot easier (same reason steelheaders use tubes and the style where they tie on a shank, then fireline dropping a hook off the back)

does anyone have any experience doing this?

I was told the same as you brent. have tied a couple using them. just used some 20lb mono instead of the fireline i have cause i hate that stuff.

the way i was told to do it, but don't. is to just put your line through the eye of the hook (when going to fish it). then stick a piece of tube on it and over the butt of the partridge shank,then a small bait hook. this would allow the hook to freely move and not be attached to fly at all. you can also pre-extend the fly by tying a small piece of tube to the trailing rabbit, then just feed your line through that. not sure how to explain it better....pretty sure that it doesnt make any sense at all....

but heres a couple that i tied. the stinger is too long i feel, and i havent attached the rabbit to the trailer hook...

partridgebully004.jpg

partridgebully002.jpg

tubes and shanks are graet..havnt really got into them yet..but yes its more effective....putting a smaller hook on the end of the tube or shank i think loses less fish too rolling off teh streamer....ive bin tying alot of bully flies with those shanks lately....seems too be the way too go talking too euorpeans and coastal fisherman...havnt picked up teh tool u put in teh vice too tye on teh tubes yet...havnt bought nothing but shanks in a few months and after all my hook supplies are done ill be using shanks only i figure for streamers....

Guest bigbadbrent

you should see some of the new Montana Fly Companies streamers that we got in their mitch, very very cool (have the hook/fire line running down the middle of the double bunny, inside where its glued together, so its unseen)

Guest bigbadbrent
tubes and shanks are graet..havnt really got into them yet..but yes its more effective....putting a smaller hook on the end of the tube or shank i think loses less fish too rolling off teh streamer....ive bin tying alot of bully flies with those shanks lately....seems too be the way too go talking too euorpeans and coastal fisherman...havnt picked up teh tool u put in teh vice too tye on teh tubes yet...havnt bought nothing but shanks in a few months and after all my hook supplies are done ill be using shanks only i figure for streamers....

you can get a pretty simple converted for tubes for like 50 bucks, just attaches to ur normal vice, then has a tube clamp, cool stuff

Brent,

I've never fished for Bull Trout but I do tie and fish tubes quite a bit. You will find it easier to tie large patterns and in general you should find streamer patterns easier to tie (no hook to worry about). As for the short shank theory, I would agree with that also although my assessment is hardly empirical. One thing though that you should watch for is tying on brass or heavy tubing, it's a serious hazard to throw. I took one in the back of the head this fall, it sucked, allot.

-al

I have not tried tubes yet but I tied up a bunch of articulated streamers last winter and they were phenominal this past season. Most fish were hooked on the trailing hook and I lost far fewer fish than with standard streamers. Having that smaller stinger hook at the back definately does make a difference in regards to keeping fish on the line. The best producer by far was the T&A, I've got to say this is the best streamer I've ever used and it's incredibly easy to cast too.

This is the original rainbow version but I also tie it in olive and a mottled grey/brown.

TARainbows.jpg

Yes, its white marabou palmered around the shanks and then a topping of olive and pink for the sides. I'd stick to bunny strips for pike though, these would be thrashed after only one fish.

You would not happen to have a good link w/ tying instructions would you? Those look great.