Fly Fusion Forums

Non-competition Ffc Campout

july?...i get married on the 16th so i might be out...

Does that means Ken's place will be mt. I'm sure he wouldn't mind 30 people staying there. :P

Congrats on the wedding!!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rocknbugs

I own a campsite in Sundre, it has a 37' 5th wheel on it and the previous owner built a wooden tent pad on site as well and left me the tent I believe he said it sleeps 8 or so, I have not looked at the tent but the tent pad is pretty big, thre is also plenty of room for other tents as well and my 5th wheel sleeps 6 comfortably and if you dont mind sleeping on the floor Im sure we cram a few more in there. Its less than a minute from any store/food/booze that you want, but you are still in the woods. There is plenty of water to be fished around there as well:

Little Red Deer

Upper/Lower Red Deer

Dickson Dam

Burntstick Lake

Fallen Timber

Raven

James River

I know there is alot more water around - still and flowing but I am a relative rookie to that area and dont know all the spots. With all the people on this site Im sure we could get almost every spot out there, Im sure I would learn alot about the area with all of the knowledge kicking around here. I do know there a couple of lakes around Rocky Mt. House that spew regular 10 - 13lb Rainbows.......so i've heard. Kungfool knows the area quit well i believe and could probably tell you all more than I can.

Here is the best part of all, its free, I own it (just show up with your food and booze), also you dont have to book it, I own it we can go out time of the day and any day of the week. From my driveway it takes an hour and 20 minutes to get to the spot and 45 minutes of that is getting through to Airdrie, so it is easy to get to as well, unless you trying to get through Calgary in rush hour traffic.

Food for thought, lets here what we have to say. If people are interested I will post some pics of it later just to give you all an idea of what my spot looks like.

Peace, Rock.

Hey Rock,

Which CG is it?? Right on the Little Red Deer, or one in town?

It's a great area to fish.... better chance of new water for alot of the S. fish bums too.

But, if everybody is hell-bent on headed south, I like Syncline. My dad's B-day is on the 16th of that month, but I can always convince him to stay at the ranch near Beaver Mines or with friends at BM Lake... Drink with you folks at night, mix up the fishin'...

Sounds good.

Guito, we have an appointment on a long section of creek from dawn to dusk. We'll walk the whole thing this summer.

Cheers,

Food for thought, lets here what we have to say. If people are interested I will post some pics of it later just to give you all an idea of what my spot looks like.

Sounds like a great spot. Heck, if this one ends up being down south, you could alway hold another for the northerns. If people can't make one, they might be able to make the other.

Guest Rocknbugs
Sounds like a great spot. Heck, if this one ends up being down south, you could alway hold another for the northerns. If people can't make one, they might be able to make the other.

Its all good man, whether they go here or there its all good. It would be good to have a gathering out there but whatever. Anyone reading this thread can also take this as an open invitation anytime boys and girls, just let me know.

There is also tons of off-roading around there as well for those who have a quad or bike, I dont but am planning to have a quad or 2 by the time spring gets here.

My bro-in-law has a ranch near Bergen, found the fish troublesome in august but mid to late sept. was rockin. Might just take you up on that next summer, or atleast hook up to fish the Fallen timber or the little red deer. How a bout it Rock

post-28-1196136030.jpg

Teck

very generous offer RKNB's thats a awesome area out there. Don't fish it as much as I would like but then again I don't fish anywhere as much as I would like...... then again to fish as much as I would like I would need a year with 2000 days all of them summer.......

Guest Rocknbugs
My bro-in-law has a ranch near Bergen, found the fish troublesome in august but mid to late sept. was rockin. Might just take you up on that next summer, or atleast hook up to fish the Fallen timber or the little red deer. How a bout it Rock

post-28-1196136030.jpg

Teck

Sounds awesome Teck, we will definitely get it going in the Spring/Summer, sounds like you will be able to show me a few spots.

Rock.

Guest Rocknbugs
anyone for pike at chestermere. dont laugh it's fun in a pontoon or belly boat, float tube. as soon as break up starts and the ice clears, give it a few nice days and the beginning of May is golden

Im all over that, Pike on the fly will be sweet. I have not done it but really want to so that sounds great, I planned on fishing for Pike this year but it did not pan out. Count me in for the spring trip to chestermere.

Rock.

we can definately do that. it is fun, they hit hard, then they feel like a boot until they get close and can see you. they hang out under the over pass.

last year i was kicking back to the dock under the over pass with my line in the water. i guess the trolling was doing it for the pike that day. i get half way under the pass when i get one on. only problem, 9ft rod with only 5ft above me and 8ft on either side. so i'm kicking like mad, it's tryign to drag me back the other way. i finally get to the other side and he goes limp, i reel him in and he starts to pull again. heads back under the over pass. i reel him in again and got him into my lap, note - bring a net, cant get rid of pike slim, and they stink. un hooked him and tossed him back. he was about 27inches.

Guest Rocknbugs
we can definately do that. it is fun, they hit hard, then they feel like a boot until they get close and can see you. they hang out under the over pass.

last year i was kicking back to the dock under the over pass with my line in the water. i guess the trolling was doing it for the pike that day. i get half way under the pass when i get one on. only problem, 9ft rod with only 5ft above me and 8ft on either side. so i'm kicking like mad, it's tryign to drag me back the other way. i finally get to the other side and he goes limp, i reel him in and he starts to pull again. heads back under the over pass. i reel him in again and got him into my lap, note - bring a net, cant get rid of pike slim, and they stink. un hooked him and tossed him back. he was about 27inches.

Sounds like a blast, what kind of flies will we be using? I learned the Clouser Minnow and the Wooly Bugger last week at fly tying class. I find the Clouser real easy to tie as well as the Wooly Bugger its just when it comes time to Palmer the Hackle on the Bugger pattern it gives me fits any tips to make it easier I actually butcher the fly from there on in, its brutal. Im guessing you use bigger flies for Pike but I thought I would throw that in there hoping to get some free tips for Palmering hackle :ph34r:

Guest Rocknbugs
i tie my own odd creations. but both of those should work, but bigger, along with the double bunnies. but basically, lots of flowy marabou and flashy stuff with some lead eyes

come to the hook n' hackle meeting on wednesday. i'll show you how to palmer the hackle.

My fly tying class runs every Wednesday night as well but only for the next couple weeks I think. I know we talked briefly about it at the TUC Fall Splash but I am giving serious thought to joining the Hook & Hackle Club.