Fly Fusion Forums

Success On The Bow

I've been fly fishing for about 10 years now. I've had a lot of success. Most rivers in southern Alberta I have figured out, but the Bow continues to puzzle me. A few days last year I had a ton of success on dries, but other than that it sends me home skunked more often than not.

Recently I've been thinking of paying a pro for a 2 hour session on what I need to do differently to have success on the Bow.

My questions are: is spending the money worth it, or can I just read what I need online? And if I am going to pay, who would you recommend and how much would they charge?

Depends who you hire! I would do a lot of research and visit a lot of shops and ask a lot of questions about what you want/are expecting from a guide. A reputable shop will match you with the right guide.

The Bow river can be an ever changing and fickle mistress, think of the love of your life, mix in a bit of Marlin Monroe and a dash of Carol Bernett. I've fished and guided on her since 86'. Most people can hang a big metal wire hook under a bobber and say they can fly fish the bow. The real difference of fisherman to fly fisherman comes with figuring out tactics for what is on the menu on the Bow, not only from season to season but run to run. Sometimes you have to fish her with your eyes long before you commit to water. Hire a guide, but ask first what they can teach you. Some will take you for a boat ride and most likely catch some trout. Others will teach you about fly fishing and the Bow River. Most likely you won't catch much but learn enough to last a lifetime. By the IMHO a 2 hour session is almost worthless. Go for a day, it offers them the opportunity to judge what you know and need to know. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah Jim would be at the top of the list for sure as he has fished the bow of many many years!! Don't discount the many classes that the local fly shops, offer as well, e.g.., Bow River Troutfitters offers great courses, as do many others.