Fly Fusion Forums

New Zealand Update Part 2

Glenbow

That is one purty 'bow, my friend! Enjoy every moment- I know you will.

Looking forward to the screening of the vid, Glen.

Looks phenomenal, so far!

Give 'em hell for us all, bro'!

Are ya having any trouble keeping the ice out of the eyes of your rod? ;)

Later,

Steve

How do you like the clear water? You can see everything on the bottom, even in the deepest holes. Is that still the Waitahanu River? If so the water looks really low! Vegetation is unbelievable, almost prehistoric looking in some places, Have you had a chance to explore much or just fishing?

This is the Jet Boats at Haku falls just east of Taupo.

IMG_0967.jpg

The geo thermal stuff is really cool as well.

IMG_0982.jpg

If you're anything like me with the camera you'll come home with around 1200-1500 photos.

Colin

Colin, that's not the Waitahanui, I am about 1 hour away from Taupo to the south on that river. Brent, I was with the guide, check out the New Zealand Update post below this post for a bit more info.

You can see everything in the river (except the dang fish) - you can't imagine how well those fish blend in even in 2 feet of clear water. Without the guide, I would have missed 80% of the fish as I would have spooked them before even seeing them, and I would have fished way too long in 'fishy' water that had no trout. I have to say that I never quite believed how much you would need a guide for fishing here (not everywhere of course), but having seen it first hand, I consider it a must (at least to get started). Like I said in my Update post below this post, with the browns we spooked them (and my guide is a pro guide) before we even got in visual range. It feels weird to see a big brown go whipping by you right near your feet and know he came from the pool you are coming up to. It is a far more exciting way to fish than 99% of the fishing I have done at home. I would take this type of fishing (read fish, water, scenery, stalking) over blind fishing any day. But you can't go guided every day, can you? The rivers are really clear and low, and it's amazing to stare into the water following the guide's finger and he's telling you 'he's right there' and still not see the trout until it makes an obvious move. These are big fish in low water and their camouflage is unreal.