Fly Fusion Forums

Advice Needed - Room For Negotiations When Purchasing A Rod?

Hi all, looking at purchasing my first nice fly rod (thinking $500-$700 range). I was wondering if, generally, there's any room for negotiating when purchasing a rod. I'll be going through one of the local shops and was looking for a little intel on this prior to doing so. I don't want to be "that guy" but every dollar helps, especially these days (though it's obviously the same for the shops too and I really love a couple of our shops - jut wanted to know if this is part of the process).

The reason I ask and what got me thinking is that I also play guitar and when I bought my first guitar (and subsequent guitars) I was surprised to learn this is something you can definitely negotiate. I've always found it random and weird that buying a mattress fits this bill too. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything related. Thanks in advance.

Quote from article link below: "The strict price controls that are prevalent throughout the fly fishing industry, stifle a fly shop’s ability to sell product. Nearly all, if not all, premium fly fishing manufacturers have strict marketing policies". end quote.

https://www.anglingtrade.com/2011/04/05/big-box-wholesaler-costco-plays-dirty-%E2%80%93-aiming-low-prices-on-top-brands-to-lure-fly-fishermen/

Read the article, but most importantly read the comments below to get a good insight into this market.

Also, instead of trying to negotiate the price, ask for additional goodies. Now, that doesn't help you actually save dollars, so the discount is better of course.

But several US shops do offer right up front a free brand new fly line with a purchase of new rod (and in lots of cases, high end reels). At the very very least, you should get some free leaders, tippet, maybe a dozen flies. Fly shops should a good enough to throw some of those in when you're prepared to drop $500 to $700.

The 2nd strategy of course is to buy used. Lots of high end stuff goes on sale second hand, especially on some of the BC forums. Kijiji too, and of course Ebay.

The last strategy is to ask yourself "can it wait". Because I will tell you, I buy a lot of items in August when the a certain fishin store chain (not sure if I'm allowed to mention, you can pm me) has their annual sale. LOTS of fly rods 25% to 40% off, even better (50%) if the particular rod line is being discontinued. My dad and I have bought several Sage rods this way. Smokin' good deals.

And, just heard today - though this won't likely be high end stuff - another certain big box store has an event this weekend; the discount bargain bin is double the % off this weekend only. Not sure if it's only a single location though in Edmonton. Again, pm me.

Smitty

Thanks for the responses guys. Crowsnest - that was literally the most informed and thought out comments section I've ever read. Usually it just descends into madness. Pretty interesting situation, and something I knew little about before. Thanks for the advice Smitty, I'll go cast a couple and see where I land.

There's no reason not to negotiate on almost any big (a relative term) ticket item you buy - it takes a certain amount of intestinal fortitude to do so. My father (RIP) always did this. Some businesses may negotiate some may not. This would be especially true in the current economic climate. If you need the item presumably you won't negotiate as hard. If it's a want go for it and be prepared to walk away.

• Like 1