Fly Fusion Forums

New Fishing Ride

Well, after my vacation was canceled I had some money to spent.

What better way to spent it on something that can take me every weekend to the rivers in Belgium and also provide a sleeping place.

I better learn to speak some French, as I am planning to be at least three out of four weekends a month fishing in Belgium, starting from the third saturday in March (opening day).

Dethleffs20000_.jpg

Greg, the distance from my home to the rivers in Belgium I fish is about 300 km one way. I used to drive early in the morning to Belgium, fish and drive home in the evening. But lately I feel I am getting older and it is getting harder to do it in one day. Hence the new ride.

The two species I fish for are brown trout and grayling.

With a few friends we have leased a part of the river Ambleve

100_0048.jpg

Catching those

100_0044.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
leased? part of the river. as in you rent a spot? this is a new concept to me. explain how this works?

They're in europe, either gotta own land on the river, or pay to fish the beat

Guest bigbadbrent

Usually (or from what i've heard from guys who have lived over there, or fished over there..i could be 100% wrong, plz correct me DDF.) They're owned by fishing clubs, which have bought the land. Then to fish it, you either have to be part of the club, or pay to fish a beat for that day...

I hear there are some crazy places too, where you can pay 400+ pounds, and ONLY be allowed to cast to fish that are rising, so if there are no fish rising, you can't fish, and you wont be getting your money back either

BBB, you are correct, only the prices in Belgium are not that high.

The maximum price is around 60 euro a year.

The land is owned by a hotel, but the owner is doing nothing with the river.

We are renting his part of the river and in conjunction with the club that is owning the adjacent land and river, we organize clean-ups and also put new fish in the river.

Our part is strictly C&R and dry fly only.

Lady, if you know the landowner and he has not rented the river to a club, you can fish with his permission AND the State license.

There are also parts of the rivers that are public, but they are most of the time not the best parts.

Rob

Nice ride. Got a tying bench in it?

Can you guys imagine having to fish in alberta "dry only"... would make this a whole lot more challenging wouldn't it..

I believe one day the rules in Alberta will tighten up to that effect .. realize that the places DDF speaks of have been fished for hundreds of years by a population Western Canada cannot fathom. Im sure the rules in those areas were quite different 100 years ago .. but for now we get the "good/easy" fishing

The dry fly only is only in place in our lease. We did that because the adjacent clubs can fish our waters when their waters are non-fishable.

We have only a small part and are paying the stocking ourselves, so we do not want any damaged or dead fish because of Czech nymphing or fishing with heavy streamers.

And it gives us the chance to identify and kick some poachers, they will even poach our waters when we are fishing.

As for the tying bench, I have a dinner table for four and am by myself, so part of that table is already reserved.