Fly Fusion Forums

The Leap Manifesto

Not quite a fishing post, but bear with me!

The Federal NDP had their AGM in Edmonton over the weekend. Two key things happened at this AGM: 1) Tom Mulcair is out as leader. 2) The NDP will consider adopting the LEAP Manifesto.

What's all the LEAP noise about? Give it a read below.

My thoughts? As a conservationist, I fully understand the need for radical changes on the environment file. With that being said, this is NOT the way to do it.

The Leap Manifesto marginalizes the resource extraction industry and fails to recognize the economic repercussions of walking away from the oil and gas industry. If our native species are going to be better protected, industry needs to be a partner, not an adversary.

Conservationists have worked very hard over the last number of decades to form partnerships with industry. There are some great success stories from these partnerships. The Leap Manifesto would seek to undermine all of that hard work in the pursuit of an ideologically driven fairy tale.

Premier Notley's biggest challenge over the coming months will be distancing herself from the federal NDP and this awful manifesto. With the strong constitutional links the provincial NDP has to the federal party, I question if she will actually have the autonomy to do what is best for Alberta.

https://leapmanifesto.org/en/the-leap-manifesto/

• Like 1

The NDP brain trust does insist on urinating into the breeze doesn't it. Notley best be divorcing her provincial party from the federals quickly if she expects more than 3 votes in the next provincial election

• Like 2

The NDP have made an important contribution to Canada. Without a strong NDP opposition we would never have moved forward on universal health care. I think their consideration of things like LEAP show that the NDP should only ever be in a position of strong opposition and never in a position of government.

Your statement about a fairy tale is pretty much right on. The big push is Avi Lewis a documentary film maker. It sounds like he's trying to follow in the Inconvenient Truth footsteps. Which we know was so accurate that it forecast the complete reduction of the Arctic ice cap in ten years. The film was made in 2005.

• Like 1

Some comments from a Green Peace co-founder:

13012847_10153326463371261_4001984085344

This is an absurd comment. This completely undermines all of the hard work that reasonable environmentalists and conservationists are doing. Folks like this are too tone deaf to realize they are hurting their own cause with this kind of inflammatory nonsense.

• Like 2

Agreed jpinkster. Extremism on either side of the coin never ends up helping anyone. As you said it only sets back the good work that is being done and hinders more good work from being done.