Fly Fusion Forums

Power Drifter Question

I am looking into purchasing a power drifter boat and selling my lund strictly due to the wife saying I have too many boats all ready. My son has really taking to fly fishing finally and I still love to fly fish however we due enjoy chasing Walleye and Pike on the bigger water. I know one boat for many different styles of fishing lakes or rivers is not ideal however, When looking at my options I have narrowed it to : a bigger jon with a jet and rowing it vs a power drifter on a lake and rivers. Has anyone taken their power drifters on a lake to use them either for fishing for pike, walleye or any species for that matter and how did they handle on the bigger bodies of water. I am asking because I am making an assumption the power drifter would easier to row than the jon. As well the assumption of rowing the jon would be more difficult than the power drifter however maybe more stable on the lake I am not sure. I would be taking sometimes 3 kids with me. any help suggestions or comments welcome.

I have been in a power drifter many times (in fact I am now looking for my own jet boat)

It is fine on a lake, we often used it to chase pike on the local lakes. You wouldn't want to take it on a lake with a bunch of chop, but fly fishing in those conditions would suck anyhow, so you wouldn't probably go anyway.

the power drifter would be harder to row only because of the higher bow in the wind and of course it weighs more. But as has been said neither row very well.if your a bigger guy then they row ok

A mod V jon does much better in a lake and rides nicer in the riffle water on the bow.

Thanks for the info Tungsten and BiggyJ. I have a 16ft jon mod v as well just have to find a tiller jet that has enough power to get up river if fishing below the weir. They seem to be tough tot find around Calgary. I was told the merc 25 jet would not have enough power.

PowerDrifter vs Jon Boat ..... first of all which Power Drifter ...original Fishrite or late to the party Hyde which is considerably heavier and harder to row... I have both a 16' ft Jon with a 40/30 and a Fishrite with a 50/35 ... the Fishrite rows easier and is my preference to fish out of... that being said the Jon and is better universal boat for rivers and lakes and much more maneuverable under to power ....the big problem with both of them is they are only good on lakes if it is relatively calm as jets do not work well in a chop due to the tendency to cavitate so you must slow right down or risk high revs and potential engine damage.... Long and short I like them both and will sell neither soon..... if you go the Powerdrifter way look for a used Fishrite or be prepared to up the HP on the Hyde as most of them came under powered with a 40/30 on them..... remember that weight is your enemy with either in regards to rowing or motoring .... keep it as light as possible

• Like 1

Power drifter out of the states has a used 18ft with a tohatsu 50/35. http://www.powerdrifterboats.com/main-index.html

I believe they bought the rights to the fish-rite model.

I had many conversations with Darrell. Good dude. Nice looking power drifter with all the bells and whistles.

Contact Darrell if you're interested:

powerdrifterboat@gmail.com

I happened to see one of the new drifters last fall in BC. Looks pretty much the same as mine with only a few cosmetic differences.

It is my understanding that they will only build the boat in an 18' model.

Great to have the room but makes it a pretty big vessel to row & power. The one I saw had a 90hp on the back.weight wise that is up to or over 1000lbs plus gear & passengers.

Fishrite never had an accurate weight on my 16' . I got the guide model which has more weight to it with the storage & casting platforms etc. If I had to guess I'm thinking 650-750lbs without motor.my 50 jet is 250lbs.

I'll have to weigh it one day.