Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Experience

Flytyer

In Grade 8 we had an option to take fly tying. That was fun, what I remember. About 15 years later, I started to make flies all the time. 15 years of tying. It's a great hobby.

Tight lines.... ;)

where did you go to school? who teaches fly tying as part of your home-ec/life skills classes. i had one semester of wood working, sewing, cooking and electronics. i would have rather done the fly tying

who teaches fly tying as part of your home-ec/life skills classes.

We had fly tying as a group "b" option for grades 7-9 in Edmonton. Basically fun classses Wed afternoon, bowling, flying (yes as in airplane),archery, horsy riding, etc. These were classes the instructors either had experience in or were willing to teach. I took fly tying for two classes.

I've been tying on and off for a total of maybe 3 years.

Been tying for probably about 8 years now. Can't tie alone I find it too boring so I don't really tie a lot. I'm the kind of guy that needs to be chatting about fishing while tying, and at the end of the night look down and I got 2 - 3 dozen of something. Had a lot of fun tying some steelhead flies for the trip to BC this year though... while prodding toolman to hurry and and finish his work commitments.