Fly Fusion Forums

Who Else's Vacation Plans Are Kiboshed Because Of $Cad?

My lady informed me last week we aren't going to do Cuba this year, with her on PAT leave and the dollar, it just isn't going to happen. We were looking for options and I got fairly lucky realizing we can pick up my new jet boat in Qualicum Beach and stay on the island for the cost I was quoted to ship the boat to Calgary.

You could save some real cash and head to Manitoba and fish the trophy lakes on the cheap staying in a hotel in Robin.

During late March early April?

:)

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm really interested in the salt, and somewhere warm,

Anyways, I'm keen to try bonefish and tarpon. Permit too. So, gonna keep hammering away, maybe increase the budget, and figure out something.

Also looking for sun, warmth and bonefish.

So what "bonefishing" destinations have currency's that aren't locked to the USD?

Hoping to find somewhere where the rates are in the local currency and have kept inline with the CAD.

• Like 1

Well, in the end, I increased the budget, sucked up the craptacular exchange rate, and decided on Cuba.

This, based on the advice I got at the Expo; without exception, 100%, every single person I talked to encouraged me to strongly consider Cuba, since the US is continuing its path to normalize relations with that country, and I'd better see it before it profoundly changes - for better or for worse.

A friend hooked me up with a "your man in Havana" type gentleman and has got me a private apartment with A/C and hot water, and a kitchen for $35 CUC a night! Considering 97% of hotels in Havana were already sold out, I feel pretty lucky (and the crappy 2 star hotels want $150 a night).

So 7 days in Havana and then 7 days with the Fish Tales crew in Las Salinas. Looking forward to my 2 weeks in Cuba!

Smitty

• Like 3

Well, in the end, I increased the budget, sucked up the craptacular exchange rate, and decided on Cuba.

This, based on the advice I got at the Expo; without exception, 100%, every single person I talked to encouraged me to strongly consider Cuba, since the US is continuing its path to normalize relations with that country, and I'd better see it before it profoundly changes - for better or for worse.

A friend hooked me up with a "your man in Havana" type gentleman and has got me a private apartment with A/C and hot water, and a kitchen for $35 CUC a night! Considering 97% of hotels in Havana were already sold out, I feel pretty lucky (and the crappy 2 star hotels want $150 a night).

So 7 days in Havana and then 7 days with the Fish Tales crew in Las Salinas. Looking forward to my 2 weeks in Cuba!

Smitty

Smitty, that's a steal.