Fly Fusion Forums

Alberta Guides / Licensing

cgyguy

Bigfoamy.

Guide companies do need licences. Lots of them.

Working out of Banff I needed licences from the Town of Banff (both business licence and home business permit).

If I wished to launch at Fish Creek I needed a K country permit. If I wanted to take out in Canmore I was supposed to have a Canmore business licence. Did the City want a chunk for using 'their' launch sites? I'm sure the MD's would also like some $ for carrying out activities in their jurisdiction, but I never asked - living on the premise that it sometimes easier to gain pardon than permission.

I also had all the insurances proof of which is required to get the K country licence.

Yes there are no 'guiding licences' But all the 'respectable' guides I know and used were covered with First Aide certificates. Some had river rescue certification as well.

Catching fish = only part of the equation. I always looked at a day as an opportunity to teach, pass on some proper 'ethics', discuss conservation. And yes I probably worked a little harder at it than some. Yes, we were usually off the water by 6:00 - but because clients want to be back in time for dinner 2 hours away. My clientele was exclusively US Based with a couple Brit, NZ, tossed in, and all staying in Banff or Canmore. Significant travel time required, no matter where we went if we left the upper Bow.

There have been at least two attempts over the years to get a licencing programme going - started by the loose guides association. In neither case did it proceed very far. So, the 'good ones' have tried to self regulate, but we all know how successful that can be.

My .02

• Like 2

Make sure you ask these exact things (as well as insurance and 1st aid cert, permits, etc.) of the fishing guide from your Facebook prize!!! I'd be curious as to what you find out?!

Wasn't a Facebook prize if you could read!! You know the answers as well as I do, hence this discussion. Anyways dude you're not well intended where I'm concerned so why don't you just leave me and my kid alone.

Funny. A lot of the posts in this thread seem to imply that if guides were licensed there'd only be good guides around. I'm sure there are lots of licensed guides in BC who suck at getting people into fish, have terrible people skills, etc. You need a license to drive a car but that sure doesn't make everyone on the road a good driver...

licensed or not of course you'll get people that are below standard. its everywhere you look and customer service is a thing of the past, it doesnt exsist anymore. That said, it should be like other business's, you should need a business license. Like being a golf pro, so easy to get a pro card but, most of these guys are just average. When I was a member at a particular course here, I can guarantee you that myself and 30 other guys where better than most of the pros. I watched people sign up to take lessons from these guys and it was painful. That said, they got their card and this is their job now. Its all about background info and word of mouth, do yourself a favour :)