Fly Fusion Forums

Peacock Herl Or Ice Dubbing

Guest Rocknbugs

Guest Rocknbugs

Hey, was just wondering if it makes a differance when tying the Pheasant Tail if you use actual Peacock Herl or if you use Peacock Ice Dub. Myself, Peacock herl gives me fits so I have been using the Ice Dub but have heard that the herl is much better because of what it is. I have the same question about the Griffiths Knat, anyone?

Thx, Rock.

I use the dub for all my nymphs cuz i hate working with the real stuff. I find that using herl for dries (ex/ gnats) makes it look alot better. If you find the herl breaking you can wrap it around your thread to make it stronger.

my .02

Guest Rocknbugs
Use black peacock ice dub, not the regular..its very VERY comparable to the real stuff, much better then the regular

Ive got both and I find the reguler Peacock Ice Dub very blue, so I switched to Black and it looks very similar to the real color the texture is just differant, is this a problem?

I think the natural looks better on a fly, but the Diamond dub or ice dub is more durable, and when it gets pulled out, it just adds to the look of the fly. I tie with both. They both work well for me. It's pretty hard to beat the natural colours in peacock, but the DD comes close.

Hey, was just wondering if it makes a differance when tying the Pheasant Tail if you use actual Peacock Herl or if you use Peacock Ice Dub. Myself, Peacock herl gives me fits so I have been using the Ice Dub but have heard that the herl is much better because of what it is. I have the same question about the Griffiths Knat, anyone?

Thx, Rock.

I use both often together. I do love the natural peacock for tying classic flies. Nothing quite like it.

Nothing really comes close to the real thing......the iridescense is difficult to duplicate.......I use the herl on smaller flies and i'll use the dubbing on the larger fliesto save time and add durabilty to the larger fly. If you spin the herl in a dubbing loop or twist nto your thread makes it very durable on smaller flies.