Fly Fusion Forums

Time To Get Pissy

Taco

I extremely dislike the current direction of the OM chapter of TUC and the anti development no middle ground attitude. I hereby disassociate myself from anything to do with the Old Man River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada. I may also revoke my membership in the National if nothing is done about the current Chapter policy of alienating any and all resource industries.

• Like 2

You're not the only one getting a bit disinfranchised with that club. I wish I could get involved but just couldn't stomach the direction/ political agenda they have been pushing. Some TU groups have lost any cooperative tones as well as most ties to the angling end of the spectrum. Its whining on our part but the guys with the time set the agenda and "moderates" simply disapear from the group. Lots of other ways to spend volunteer time/ donations/ membership fees. Maybe it will improve with time, you never know.

To confirm, are they not simply following the mandate of TU, which is to protect fish and fish habitat?

To an extent, though I believe charitable groups are not supposed to advocate politically/ participate in the promotion of political parties/ platforms. Maybe this is not the case and that's just the way charities I've worked with operate. Read through their facebook page and compare it to other TU groups, something seems fishy to me and they seem to have a very strong bias/ environmental activism taint. According to the TU webpage they are a projects club, I only see one projects post in dozens and dozens of activist posts. Just an observation from a fly fisherman/ conservationist who looked into becoming involved. They have been reminding me of the AWA who do some great work but drive me nuts with the misleading advertising and promotion of half truths.

To an extent, though I believe charitable groups are not supposed to advocate politically/ participate in the promotion of political parties/ platforms. Maybe this is not the case and that's just the way charities I've worked with operate. Read through their facebook page and compare it to other TU groups, something seems fishy to me and they seem to have a very strong bias/ environmental activism taint. According to the TU webpage they are a projects club, I only see one projects post in dozens and dozens of activist posts. Just an observation from a fly fisherman/ conservationist who looked into becoming involved. They have been reminding me of the AWA who do some great work but drive me nuts with the misleading advertising and promotion of half truths.

This^^^ and I woulda been far more blunt

If you have an issue with this TUC OMC Taco, why don't you arrange to sit down with someone on the excecutive? They're are some good people in that group that I'm sure would like to discuss your issue, rather than posting on this forum. I know for a fact there is a lot of great work done by this chapter here in Southern Alberta.

• Like 2

As a registered society aren't they required to have elections at their annual general meeting? Wouldn't the better way to facilitate change be to run for elected positions yourselves and affect change from within rather than posting a rant on an internet forum?

As someone who is involved on a number of boards, this pretty much sums things up for me. The best way to influence change is from the inside (unless you're on a Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta Board like me...in that case things don't change).

• Like 3

The so-called rant on the internet achieved what I was aiming for, the pot has been stirred, the right people started paying attention, interpersonal communication is happening and changes (or not) are being discussed.

It also helps when the person doin' the rantin' really doesn't give a good gawdamn what the internet anonymous thinks.

• Like 1

I'm happy you have accomplished what you set out to Taco; I, too, appreciate your effort as it has brought clarity to an otherwise muddy stream. As posted on both your personal page and the Oldman River Chapter, TUC page, I hope you return some day to assist us in fulfilling our mandate - to protect our most precious resource - water.

Half truths and political platforms albertatrout? No posts on our projects? Time for a fact check. Who are you anyway?

We'll get there gang, it's just going to take a little time before most of us start rowing the boat in the same direction!

Smitty, I know who Taco is, he's been trolling me for years; it hasn't worked yet. Remember Hidden Creek Taco? I asked who albertatrout was.

I did briefly maintain anonymity when first on this forum at the beginning to protect someone who was protecting our fishery. Since then it's just been fun and Winston has become famous in some circles - the fish not me! The picture, taken after spending over a half an hour with him in Racehorse Creek after processing (he was fully awake as he'd been captured before and was already tagged), is part of a set including video that's been used for stories and presentations. It was a cool experience with him. One day, I hope he can be the face of a fish smart program for kids.

• Like 2