Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Pattern Dilemma - Nicaragua

So as I have previously posted, Deb and I are going to Nicaragua in January for 2 weeks and are planning to fish both Lake Nicaragua (fresh water - Tarpon, Gar, Snook, Rainbow Bass, etc.) and Salt (Inshore - roosters, etc.). The dilemma is we are limited with how much gear we can travel with as we are the "backpacks & chicken bus" style of travellers. So where I'm at thus far is I have decided that we will take 8 wt & 10 wt rods/reels (fresh/salt lines??) and I need to streamline flies (with the caveat as we've only fished for inshore salt species previously). Can anyone please provide me with some specifics as to what cross over flies to cover as many species as possible). It might not be possible so we might have to limit our outlook.

For the most part we will be trying DYI on Lake Nicaragua but might have to consider hiring a guide and are open to that... If anyone has any info on DYI that would be appreciated as well.

Any other fishing info would be appreciated as well

Thanks,

P

Pretty much all of those are all going to eat baitfish, of different sizes and colors. Easy to get a ton of baitfish style bugs, into a small ziplock bag and let air out. Takes near zero space.

Go talk to Adam at CPs for Roosters, he's been doing it for as long/longer as the 'running down the man' video. Pretty well everything they'll eat, is what the tarpon/snook/jacks will eat.

Don't bring freshwater lines. They'll wilt in the heat and not cast well at all. Need some stiffness to deal with the heat if you want to be able to shoot any distance.