Fly Fusion Forums

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Anyone here ever had carpal tunnel surgery? Just wondering what the typical recovery time is, and how long until it took for you to be able to cast comfortably again. I'm hearing everything from between 10 days to 4 months, for basic recovery up to any "heavy lifting".

Can you avoid surgery with very deep muscle massage. I had bad CT and with lengthy but painful physio I no longer have it. If you are not in tears or damn near it is not being done right. Painful but well worth it to avoid the knife, but at times you just have to operate. Either way, Good Lick and quick healing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried some physio (including intramuscular needling) and traditional acupuncture, with limited if any improvement. Used to undergo chiro pretty regularly, but have strayed away from it (don't think I will be going back that route). The neurologist I saw during my nerve conduction indicated that in one hand I have moderate/severe CTS, and mild/moderate in the other. He suggested that at this stage, splinting or physio is unlikely to have any impact on the hand with the more severe CTS. I now have an appt to see a surgeon for a consult in early January, which by my best guess puts me in early spring for the surgery if it is a go. I'll ask the surgeon specifically about casting, and see if he has a response :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the surgeon the first week in January, and I am going for the procedure this Thursday... they had a cancellation and I jumped at it. Has been driving me crazy at night these last few weeks, even when wearing my brace. That will mean lots of recovery time before spring has sprung. I'll be the guy at the Expo on Saturday with the bandaged hand :) This will perhaps discourage me from doing anything silly there, like buying a new rod (though still plenty of accessories to be had that don't require me using my casting hand to try out)!