Fly Fusion Forums

I Think I'm Done Fishing

Jayhad

Maybe, maybe not, but currently I have no desire to angle right now, since that day.

I spent 112 days focusing on purely brown trout streams looking for a trophy this season, I only drifted the Bow once and used my drifter twice, I've just been solely focused on slamming a true trophy bruin. I saw a lot of 14-18" browns, a few over 20" and a couple over 22."

There really wasn't a fish that stood out for the season but I feel I did crack the code on a bunch of these brown trout creeks.

After Oct 1st I don't really hunt for the browns as much as I want to because I like to respect the spawn, so I decided to switch up my focus and look for some cutties and dirty rainbows... I went into an area that I had never fished and figured I would yank a cuttie and maybe tie into a tank rainbow or two. I had just bought a new Sage VXP 590 and I wanted to swing it for a bit so that was the stick in my hand. I was using the only fly to use, the Sparkle Minnow. I walked a couple K from the car and found a piece of water I had checked out on Google earth, I did two swings nothing, on my third my fly stopped cold.... on one of the many logs this creek has in its waters... so I thought.

I pointed the rod to the "snag" and started to pull to bust it off and it moved..... moved hard and fast... I had to run a little, scramble along the rocks a little, keep my line out of log jams a little, I peed a little when I saw the size and then cried a little when I landed her... my personal best brown. After the release I sat on shore for an easy hour, just in awe of what happened... I've seen a 28" brown before personally but this is the biggest brown I have caught or have seen personally.

I haven't had the desire to fish since, I have bought a bow and I am practising for some hunting now. I will happily give my finned friends a break until April 1st, or when the itch needs to be scratched but for now I am a content angler.

I'm going to let you guys figure the length, I know what she was. That there is a brown that clearly goes past the first section of a four piece 590. Enjoy

IMG_20151017_113927_edit_edit_zpsvf7bobe

Dam nice fish Jay gunna have to say 29 inch. Same as the one in my aviator of a Red Deer River brown.

• 2 weeks later...

Im gonna say 31.5-32, mine was 32 and was a well past the the 1st eyelet, thats what I base my answer on. Was a sage but, a completely different rod. I haven't seen a beast like that since. When I told the story I said she was 31 because i wanted people to believe me lol!!! Was a long time ago and one of the forum members here netted her for me. I distinctly remember him saying "this is the biggest fish Ive ever seen come out of the Bow river"

• 4 weeks later...