Fly Fusion Forums

Garage W/ Rooftop Deck Project

that's a pretty big job, what I would do to save some cost is hire it all out myself. you need an architect for the design, concrete guys for the pad, will need framers, electicians, etc.

I have the majority of those contacts if you wanted to piece it all together. can probably help you or guide you along the way to the best of my abilities

Hmm maybe, I'll need a structural engineer apparently for the wall/foundation and roof. The city permitting might be an issue which makes me want to go with a general contractor, is that a mistake? I expect this project will cost around $40k.

your architect will work with a structural engineer. everything will need to be stamped byt an engineer. permits you can pull yourself, you pay a general contractor for his time to help, you can probably save yourself 10 gs easy by doing it yourself, if your organized and know something about building you should be find

• Like 1

Tungsten - A more lengthy scan of the bylaws shows that they are but you need to apply for a Development Permit, see the first paragraph. Also, most of my current neighbors have a deck on their garage.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Documents/brochures/detached_residential_garage.pdf

126 - I'll need retaining walls close to 8ft tall for this project.

Sraak, You should seriously consider spray foam insulation for your project. Especially with a flat roof, I have seen so many problems with flat roofs and ventilation issues resulting in rotten trusses on buildings less than 5 years old. Let me know when you have a design and I can give you some options for your building envelope.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This project is nearly complete, just pending a final city inspection. After inspection the roof will be insulated and dry walled and railings for the roof top deck will go up.

I went with a general contractor because I'm not experienced in home building (I'm a manufacturing guy). The garage is also submerged on a sloped lot, so concrete walls as high as 8 ft were required, way beyond what I am comfortable taking responsibility for.

For the roof, we did wood trusses with the roof spaced slightly off them (2x4's going the opposite direction on top of the trusses and plywood on top of that). I put in several vents to ensure that any moisture can evaporate easily.