Fly Fusion Forums

St. Croix Imperial

Looking at purchasing the 9 foot 5 weight Imperial and wanted to know if anyone had any first hand reviews with it. I'll definitely try and test cast it but wanted some prior insight on how it casts and also on how it fishes. Also, how is St. Croix's warranty? Thanks in advance!

Absolutely love St. Croix Rods, this is about all I fish. Warranty is excellent, they're always having promos sending free gear, and the rod's performance will exceed your expectations for the price point. I have an 8'6" imperial in a 4 weight and it fishes nicer than my higher end Sage. I own various rods in different series' from legend elite, legend ultra, avid, imperial, and the rio santo. Hell, even my $80 Rio Santo 9' 6wt 4 pc isn't a bad fishing rod. Fast action? Not really. Made with some quality in mind? Definitely. I bought it for a backup to take on trips and it ends up getting fished more than I expected. Give the imperial a try and don't look back, I think you'll be more than satisfied.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. I need a 5 wt rod that will be pretty versatile and I think for the price point, it seems like a no-brainer to try it out. If you don't mind me asking, what reel and line do you have matched up with the rod? Does it need a line designed for faster action rods such as the SA GPX or would I be fine sticking with something like the Rio Gold?