Fly Fusion Forums

Beaver Ponds, Warm Water And Reviving Fish

Guest bigdirty

Guest bigdirty

I know the quick answer is don't fish. But what can be done, for a fish in warm waters, to help revive them more effectively?

Monday on stauffer I released a fish, it sank immediately to the bottom with only it's gills moving. I felt like it may have needed a hand so I picked back up and found myself running up a muddy bank to the beaver dam. Hoping the flowing water would help him along. It took a while, but I watched the fish swim off to the depths and out of my vision.

Anything I should/could have done differently?

Moving water is good, fighting the fish quickly (heavier tippet), and not pulling the fish out of the water (no pictures) will help. Not fishing when the water is hot is the best plan though. High chance of trout mortality when the temperatures are nearing 20 degree's, some trout are more tolerant but overall it's wise to go fishing in the morning while the water is cool. Some lakes are already approaching surface temperatures of 20 degrees this spring, bad news for recovering tired fish. In lakes, holding the fish down a bit deeper helps, the top 0.5 m of the water column can often be way warmer than the water further down. Don't throw fish back into the deepest areas of the lake when not recovered though, there's often a layer of anoxic water near bottom in the summer which will prove lethal if they are too exhausted to swim. We have been limiting our fishing to the morning lately, seeing temps of 19-20 degrees by 11 am which is crazy for this early in the year.

• Like 1

All those central creeks need to be watched closely. The temp is getting way up there and most guys aren't thinking about it. If it's warm, go look for pike or goldeye. Hopefully the opening on the 16th will provide a bit more water for everyone to play in

• Like 1

It is species dependent, Rainbow Trout are able to survive in temperatures up to and exceeding 77°F (24°C), they stop growing at 73°F (23° C). A trout, that is oxygen stressed while in the water uses minimum energy, will be dramatically more stressed after being hooked. In many cases, a fish improperly handled and released might not to not survive. For brook trout, these limits are generally accepted to be a few degrees lower (some sources suggest as low as 65°). For many fishermen including myself, 70°F (21°C) has become a "don't fish" limit.

I would say at 23 degrees the average angler will have significant catch and release mortality (rainbows). We go elsewhere at 20, even then recovery can take extra time, care, and attention. Bullies are very uncomfortable/ absent at around 17 degrees so it varies greatly. If you want to learn more about it read through some habitat suitability models (available from usgs via Google). Lots of factors at play but temps are critical as they directly impact oxygen/ stress in fish. A stressed fish is not a happy fish.

• 2 weeks later...