Fly Fusion Forums

Crossing The Border Into Montana

Good Morning All.

Being that it has been a number of years since I have been down to the States I was wondering if any of you have had any issues taking your fly tying boxes and supplies over the border? Is there anything to be concerned about regarding feathers and the like not being allowed into the States? I would really like to bring it cut the costs of buying flies at $2.50+ US.

Also, about the boat inspection process. Should I wash down my boats before going? Even though I don't have zebra mussels anywhere on the boats or milfoil, are they picky about dirt etc on boats and motors?

Thanks....FHD

You should always wash your boat before leaving the country. Yes they will be picky about mud on it (and rightfully so).

Really, you should wash it after fishing at any time and allow it to dry. Not a huge deal if it's limited to one waterbody, but if you're fishing more than one, you should be washing it and letting dry between.

I never once had them look at flies or anything. Have never even been asked if I'm bringing my own fishing equipment or not. Not sure about fly tying equipment, but again, have never even been asked. I wouldn't bring anything particularly special, just incase they do decide they want to keep it.

• Like 1

I was down over the long weekend on the Mo and had no issues getting through. I washed my boat beforehand, and afterwards on the way back before the border crossing. One thing you want to make sure you have handy is the proof of purchase for boat and trailer as well as the trailer registration, as I have been asked for this every time coming back to Canada. They had a boat inspection station on the AB side of the border at Coutts. Good to see. Let's hope they keep it up.