Fly Fusion Forums

Recommended Set-Up For Fishing Kelowna Area

scel

My best friend's dad has retired and is moving to Kelowna. He is from Vancouver Island and he fly-fished a great deal before getting married.

He asked my advice for a recommended set up for the area for mostly still water fishing. I did some research, and a 5wt or 6wt setup would probably cover most of the fishing in the area.

I have no experience in the area. Can FFC please lend some advice?

Lots of opportunities In Kelowna, 5-6 wt fly rod would do, many mountain lakes to take advantage of and great Rainbow action with your typical lake set ups, and often dry fly heaven. Short trip south will get you into Bass fishing with streamers or better still poppers. Fun area for the fly fisherman. Visit Troutwaters fly shop out there for patterns and places, friendly shop.

• Like 1

I'd go with a 6wt - I grew up just over the hill from Kelowna, and spent about 10 years there myself. A lot of the fishing in the immediate area (eg the Aberdeen Plateau) could be handled with a 5wt quite comfortably, but if you go a little further afield to the lakes in Connector/Merrit area, or up to Kamloops, there are some lakes where the 6wt would have an advantage.

• Like 1