Fly Fusion Forums

Think Fish Creek Is Bad??

Guest ArtVandelay

Looks like the Vedder near Chilliwack, and, sad but true, that's were my girlfriend lives, and where I'll probably retire. I think I'll be doing some driving to the fishing instead.

It's the Kenai River in Alaska. I've read abouit similar conditions on the Veddar, though.

Sadly, the "Meat Hole" on the Vedder is worse than that. I was fishing the river about three years ago and we drove up to watch the circus before we left. One of the funniest things I saw was a gentleman fishing with a rod that was about 5' long with a little close faced push button spinning reel on it. He had managed to hook what looked to be about a 25lb chinook, and he had that little rod doubled over trying to move that fish. The chinook was sitting about 10' directly in front of the fisherman not showing any signs of concern and not moving one inch. I wish I could have stayed to see that rig explode when the fish had enough fooling around and decided to make a run...

Combat fishing... only fun if it's with your friends in the same hole. Does anyone else enjoy fishing shoulder to shoulder with their buddies casting for the same fish? I find that a hoot.

I wonder what they would do if a fleet of tubers floated right through their run? haha.

This is another reminder for us to be thankful that our "crowded" waters are really not that crowded.

Ah...Salmon...find one ya find 'em all..grew up fishing similar crowds back east, some places so bad, fisherman would have to cast in unison as not to cross lines..we call one pool.. 1-2-3 cast

Man, that's nuts! Makes me thankful for all the water we have here which is far more comfortable. Mind you, there is plenty of water in BC which is not as crazy as the Fraser or the Vedder during the returns. I actually have heard that parts of the Fraser get closed because of the fights that break out amongst anglers looking to floss their way to a full freezer, it's totally antithetical to why I fish, I would just keep on walking.

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

as i read in a magazine (paraphrasing)

I fish to get to places which are invariably beautiful, and to get away from people, who are invariably ugly.