Fly Fusion Forums

Mcvinnie

s......................................l..................................................o...........................................................w

Just spent the afternoon there and only a fat old dutchman in a brand new pontoon boat caught anything.......one, singular.

Water's was so cold my balls tried to became ovaries.

• Like 3

I have found the fishing quality to be heading steadily downhill in the trout ponds in that area. I think part of it can be attributed to crazy nutrient loading as many of the lakes seem weedier and greener in the summer than they were 10 years ago. I do know partial winterkill is more and more common on some of the shallow pike sloughs around there, SRD attributes it to feedlots and more and more nutrients in the soil/ environment. Has anyone done really well at McVinnie (or kenex or Mquillan) in the past couple years? May just be our group, still some nice fish but not like a few years ago. Hoping some action is taken on WQ issues before it gets even worse.

Something seems to have happened to Henningers last yr during the big rainfall incident. Couldn't find a fish in 4-5 hrs of tryin' the other day and other than a few tiny midges, no insects. Very poor visibility as well. At least McVinnie had plenty of scuds, backswimmers and lots of floating chironomid shucks. Just almighty christly cold.

I wouldn't really know, haven't fished those little reservoirs much but McVinnie and Keenex Coulee had a helluva algal bloom in last July and Friday was my first kick at fishin' Henningers. I was gonna blame it on bein' a pisspoor fisherman.

• Like 1

Mcquillan 2 years ago fished awesome just after ice off we were catching all kinds of fish all around the 17 to 19 in range and since then havent caught a thing there and put in more than my fair share of trips but same as mcvinnie tons of choronmid shucks and boatman everywhere so maybe the lake just has to warm a bit??

• Like 1

If targeting fish at Mcvinnie, you'll have better luck going for the walleye that worked there way in the system. They're not in large numbers but they tip the scale quite high. The fishing is really hit or miss there. Best is to get out in the belly boat or toon and fish as deep as you can.