Fly Fusion Forums

2-Way Radio In Calgary

I am visiting from the States this April and we usually bringing a set of 2 way radio with us when we travel. Easier to connect than calling using cell phones.

I am wondering what the law will be to use them in Calgary?

Our second party will be staying at a hotel near the Airport and I planning to try to catch a fish for half a day.

thank you

Poly, the use of your radios will depend on the frequency band that they operate in. Certain frequencies are dedicated to specific licences. If they operate in public domain frequencies ie: Radio Shack ,you will not have a problem.

You are absolutely right, they worked really well when we were at Disneyland, shopping outlets, lakes, between cars, etc but not so much in and around downtown area or around tall trees.

I tried using them in the Downtown area for a rooftop job a few years back. Although they worked, the interference from pagers, taxi drivers, couriers etc. made it very difficult to have a conversation. Most of the FRS radios have numerous sub channels within each marked channel on the dial.example, channel 1A, 1B etc. theses are not really separate channels but rather a filter that screens out incoming traffic unless you are on the same channel (1A ,1B.)

So having said all that, you will find that they work but you might be disapointed with the performance.

Exactly right, the interference is a noisy story and looks like this isn't gonna be like at the Disneyland.

I just made a call to my cellphone provider and add the international calling feature for a month so we could use our US mobiles in Canada as well.