Fly Fusion Forums

Jumping Fish, Rod Tip Up Or Down?

alhuger

alhuger,

At one time, the fellows who fished for large fish, "bowed" @ the fish when it jumped. Yupe - Bowed. Bowing lowered the rod and the belief was that the weight of the fish falling on the leader would prevent /reduce leader breakage. In today's barbless world, a slack leader means a gone fish. So it kinda depends where you fish. In Alberta, haul on them, in BC flowing water haul on them, in BC stillwater, show respect and bow.

Also what has to be considered if whether or not you are using weighted vs unweighted flies. Weighted flies c/w barbless hooks tend to fall out more readily.

catch ya'

Don

Steady pressure..

Like Don said.. with barbless hooks you can't give them slack otherwise that hook will pop right out.

I've also had times where the trout jumps right when i'm applying some extra pressure to turn him (murphy's law) and I've PULLED the hook out myself when they're airborne.

I think the trick when they jump is steady pressure.. don't give them slack, but don't yank on them either, and you'll increase your chances.

alhuger,

At one time, the fellows who fished for large fish, "bowed" @ the fish when it jumped. Yupe - Bowed. Bowing lowered the rod and the belief was that the weight of the fish falling on the leader would prevent /reduce leader breakage. In today's barbless world, a slack leader means a gone fish. So it kinda depends where you fish. In Alberta, haul on them, in BC flowing water haul on them, in BC stillwater, show respect and bow.

Also what has to be considered if whether or not you are using weighted vs unweighted flies. Weighted flies c/w barbless hooks tend to fall out more readily.

catch ya'

Don

Thanks Don, why is it you allow for slack if your fishing stillwater (which is where I will be fishing mostly)?

Hey Don, correct me if I'm wrong...

I think with barbless hooks, you can still bow to the fish... I would think the surface tension of the water on the line would keep steady pressure, after the fish was in the water again. I thought the bow was to allow the hook to change angles with the fish;

rather than the fish changing the angle and the hook remaining the same, resulting in the hook coming out when you keep hauling on him.

To be completely honest, I've let many fish have slack line and still had them on the hook after (I even try to lose dinks before they are in to hand with slack line, often unsuccessfully).

alhuger,

Best as I recall, BC stillwaters do not require barbless hooks.

Don

Harpes,

Never heard of a fly changing angles less it came loose and re-engaged. And I know what you mean , some fish just won't fall off, some fall off readily.

Recall a trip into BC were 50 decent [ 2>6 lb.] trout were hooked on barbless - 1/2 disappeared quickly. Next day only 1 of 19 fell off on barbed hooks.

Barbless is fish friendly.

catch ya'

Don