Fly Fusion Forums

Don't Be A Tough Guy

I grew up with what I call tough love. From a farming background, where if you had any issues, you just rub some dirt on it. You don't show weakness and you definitely never cry.

This week, we buried one of my best friends. I have had people close to me pass on before, but never by their own choice. Mental illness is probably one of the most challenging things to deal with. There is no cut to sew up, there is no cure and its something many people are ashamed of discussing. If you don't feel right or if you know someone who doesn't seem themselves, please act on these signs.

It is not something anyone chooses, so you aren't crazy and you can't fix it yourself. I don't know a single person who can truly cope with it on their own. There is help and there are better days ahead. There are people, places and therapies to make it all manageable. It can be discreet.

Most cases go undetected or diagnosed way too late. It's something that you can slip into without really knowing. It is scary and it is real.

I was a tough guy. I didn't read all the tell tale signs. While I made some sign of concern, I have to live with guilt and doubt for the rest of my life.

I never took this too seriously when people talked about it, but if I can help one person....maybe you won't get the phone call I did.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. Yes there is help out there. Sometimes the person is too caught up in the emotions to realize there is help, or too caught up to seek it. There was a time in my life in the early 80s that I was lucky enough to seek help. I sometimes feel if I didnt have a background in social work and criminology, I too may not have sought the help I needed and who knows what may have happened. I was lucky to know it was there.

I am truly sorry for your loss. Good friends are hard to find, and losing them, well, I can only imagine how hard that must be.

Mental illness is as real as it gets.

I hope that this wound will heal with time, and some people to talk to. Take your own advice and seek a friendly ear to listen to you and share your grief. It may, in time, help you heal.

• 2 weeks later...