Fly Fusion Forums

Leaders

alhuger

All,

Anyone have an outspoken preference on leaders for spey rods? I have been using the airflow leaders and the ken sawada 15 ft salmon leaders. The price on both makes me a do a gut check though. Any better priced alternatives out there?

I run straight maxima tippet material...Stiff enough to turn over even @ 12ft of length @ any lbs strength. But then again I never run any leaders as turn over never seems to be a problem for me anyway...Or I'm just to cheap to buy leaders..some may disagree.

For trout fishing, using small flies, I use a tapered mono leader which is usually about a rod length long, when fishing in the film or swinging drys. If the fly is very large and /or I need to cast far, I can use a 10' Poly floating leader with 4'-6' tippet added, as needed.

For sink tip use, I add 3'-4' of Frog hair Mono, or Fluro if the fly is small, or in clear water, or if I want the extra depth to create a bit of droop, to get the fly below the sink tip and fishing a little deeper.

For nymphing or high sticking, I make knotted leaders using Flurocarbon, which also has enough stiffness in it to allow good turn over, using a 16 lb. butt section.