Fly Fusion Forums

Custom Fly Rod Blanks - Mhx My 2Cents

sldrose

Hi all,

I just built a MHX hi-mod 9' 5wt.

If anyone is considering doing the same, and wants to demo the rod before they commit, please let me know and I can arrange a test cast.

I'm in SW Calgary, send me a PM.

These are great rods, (I'm not affiliated) but as with most custom rod blanks, there just isn't anywhere that we can really demo the blanks before we commit to the build.

I'm hoping this forum becomes that place to a degree so we can help each other out with different blanks available for test casting.

As for the rod, I am really impressed with the quality of rod you can put together for about $130.

Comparable to rods in the $300 - $500 range.

Up until now, the TFO BVK was IMO the best bang for buck rod around.

The MHX is now my top contender for great value rod.

The action is fast, (akin to the Loomis GLX action), so if you like faster action rods then this will impress, and the blank is super light.

You probably won't like it if you're a fan of more moderate action rods

Great quality first rod, or economical spare rod for your drift boat.

highly recommend.

blank: MHX hi-mod 9' 5wt

price: $110

Next rod build will be a Batson Rainshadow Eternity.

Has anyone built this yet?

If you're thinking about getting into rod building, but don't be put off, its easy to get into and doesn't have to be super expensive

cheers

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not on here much but just happened to check in today. We just got our shipment from Batson into the shop (Fish Tales) today and there were two 9' 5wt 4pc Eternity blanks in the order. (We won't get them into the computer for a few days so don't know pricing yet.) We put one together to feel it and it was most certainly not soft. Had a nice fast action feel to it and we were suitable impressed. And the colour is stunning a very very nice blue! One fellow is building one shortly so will be able to cast it in a month or so. I've already told Wayne (our building expert) to bring more blanks in in 7 through 9 as we think they will be very nice pike/salmon/saltwater rods.

Just thought I'd mention it.

David

• Like 1

Colin - No Wayne didn't order that in. I know we will be doing another order within two weeks though.

Doc - We did also get the Blue Halo blanks in!! Guys are building them right now in the course.

Hope this helps.

David

I'll pop in on Saturday.

Colin

Colin - No Wayne didn't order that in. I know we will be doing another order within two weeks though.

Doc - We did also get the Blue Halo blanks in!! Guys are building them right now in the course.

Hope this helps.

David

I'll have to get down there and check those out.