Fly Fusion Forums

Just Sayin' Hi

fishbait

I'm new to fly fishing so I just signed up on this site. I've been spinning some of the lakes around Calgary, but live right near the SE Bow so fly fishing makes sense.

My first time out I caught a small brown with a prince nymph, but I'm pretty sure it was beginners dumb luck! Still, it certainly made me a quick fan of the sport.

Hoping to get some pointers on here and stay up to date with the good spots and flies. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a couple weeks of practice and learning more, I had a real breakthrough morning today! Weather was perfect so I headed down to my favorite spot on the Bow and caught 3 browns in one hour. I had been getting frustrated with not catching anything and losing 3 or 4 flies each time out, but this easily made up for all of it. My cast is way better and just my feel for strikes. I was using an indicator which I gave up on, hating the way it cast and probably spooked the fish. I just use a 6 wt rod with 3x leader and tippet, and a double nymphing rig with a couple bb shots. Loving it!

• Like 3

Well after a couple weeks of practice and learning more, I had a real breakthrough morning today! Weather was perfect so I headed down to my favorite spot on the Bow and caught 3 browns in one hour. I had been getting frustrated with not catching anything and losing 3 or 4 flies each time out, but this easily made up for all of it. My cast is way better and just my feel for strikes. I was using an indicator which I gave up on, hating the way it cast and probably spooked the fish. I just use a 6 wt rod with 3x leader and tippet, and a double nymphing rig with a couple bb shots. Loving it!

Right on, you took off your water wings.... Best to do that now than later, you will learn to mend, keep up with your line and detect hits better with no indicator....

Cheers... Jeff..

Thanks, ya I'm sure there's a place for using an indicator and probably there's better and worse ones. I'll keep them in my kit. For my purposes I found that I was too fixated on the indicator and not paying enough attention to mending and just feeling for strikes. Every little bobble I was tugging on the line. I think it may have not allowed the nymphs to sink enough as well, which didn't help.

• Like 1

fishbait; you'll soon learn to focus each eye on something different. One on the indicator, one on the 'action' of your line. Watch peripherally for changes to the line movement. I am constantly mending, both up and down current, whatever is required to increase the drift. I've never actually counted, but I'd guess a dozen times a cast on average, depending on cast length.

Try to make a number of casts of the same length and to the same spot, a bit short of your target, to 'learn' what your line will do next time. That way you can mend pro-actively rather than re-actively as the later more often results in moving more line and moving the fly.

Keep learning :)