Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Tying Kit

relk19

Hi All,

I am looking at getting into fly tying over this winter. Having never done so before, and with only a little research into the subject, I have a couple questions regarding the initial purchase. I have seen a bunch of "fly tying kits" at various fly shops and online, ranging from $40 to $200. Naturally, I want to start out with one like this because of how cheap it is, but wanted to get someone's take on it that has some experience on the matter. I have noticed that many of them come with materials, which is probably why they are more expensive, but I already know what flies I will be tying (stimmies, clousers, adams and maybe dungeons), so I don't want to buy material I won't use. Any other recommendations for what I should be looking at/for? Thanks for any help!

Hit up FishTales Fly Shop. Not sure if they still do it but back in the day I bought a kit off of them. Came in a rubber maid container and contained basically everything you need. Tell them what you want to tie and that your new and they may throw something together for you. IMO they're still the most helpfull store around, just saying.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will probably head into fish tales one of these days and see what they say.

Just tell them your new to tying, the patterns your interested in. They also run fly tying courses for beginners and vets alike, they used to anyways. I took one there a long time ago :)

I don't think the those kits are particularly useful.

The cheap ones have crappy vices and with the expensive kits, you could get what you want for much less

You can usually get a "relatively" decent quality vice for around $50 - $60

Especially if you want to be tying dungeons and spinning deer hair with gelspun or 3/0 thread.

A cheap vise will let you down.

Have a look at Angler crown vise or similar.

They are solid and the hooks do not budge once locked in.

The rest you can fill in bit by bit depending on the patterns you want to tie.