Fly Fusion Forums

Comments On The Mascot Fly Thread

Flytyer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vernille is a much finer form of Chenille and would be ideal for a Streamer type of fly. Nice and compact fibres and a diameter about 3/32nds of an inch, any colour you like. Often mistaken for Suede Chenille as it has a similar appearance but is much finer.

So I certainly was not thinking fat, but wanted something a bit beefier than like a floss (my fly tying ignorance is showing through, I'm sure). So do I just say "thin Chenille" or is Vernille readily available?

This will end tomorrow if participation doesn't pick up.

Guys,

though your participation is down, it is a LONG winter here if memory serves. I think this thread is a great idea. Give it some time if you can stand it as I would imagine overall traffic on the board is way down now that winter is rearing its ugly head.

I agree with rick.... I think its a great idea flytyer and when everyone is goin nuts during the winter it should pickup..... I was also thinking that maybe some sort of process change might help....... maybe if we just leave the next participant open and maybe make a rule that you have to wait atleast 2-3 full turns(additions) before you can add again..... every new component adds a new direction to the fly so even if the participants are fewer and more frequent as long as they are not making more then 1 turn at once the direction will keep changing and 1 person should not gonna influence the tie too much. If we happen to get 2 posts at the same time that create a conflict then first posts stays....... flytyers the man though so thats just an idea

PS I woulda particpated but I never got called

that's actually a good idea LF. i've been waiting but havent been called either.

i think rickr has a point, i have noticed that for the most part, traffic has been slow on the forum for the past few weeks or so. everyone trying to get out and do that last bit fishing because yu never know when the weather will turn really nasty and we have been lucky so far. soon we will be in to christmas, i know my weekends are filling quickly. but come january and that long look forward to april/may sets in, sigh. we are going to need something to do.

since the PM thing is not working based on the individuals called next, let's brain storm on how to keep this going forward. i think every 3-4 turns would be fair. i think there are enough of us who check on a regular basis that would post if it was 'open' that 4 turns would keep someone from hijacking a fly and you would probably get to post only 1 or max 2x a fly anyway. before starting the next one...

just a thought

Guys,

though your participation is down, it is a LONG winter here if memory serves. I think this thread is a great idea. Give it some time if you can stand it as I would imagine overall traffic on the board is way down now that winter is rearing its ugly head.

I hoping to do something with this for the winter months starting the first of January but there wont be enough patterns by then at this rate...its been FOUR days since anything has been added.

Guys,

Even with the competition...wanted 20, got 6. poll's been viewed nearly 200 times....maybe 20 votes. Hopefully things will pick up, its a great idea!

Din, different 'competition'. you were talking about the attractor nymph tying competition being run by dr bulltrout.

this is a set of flies as a group creation, and if i'm thinking correctly, it will either be a part of a swap, or vote on mascot.. depends on what flytyer has in mind.

we just need to brainstorm on a way to get this moving a bit. it is difficult to 'pick' the next person from random because who knows if they will actually post. and then we wait and wait.

Din, different 'competition'. you were talking about the attractor nymph tying competition being run by dr bulltrout.

ya, i was just trying to make a point how everyone seems to be fishin still and the shack nasties haven't hit yet.

yeah the first contest I think got a relativly good amount of interest considering it is still pretty early and the deadline was pretty short..... I woulda posted something but I can't find my camera and I just plain ran outta time.......

so should I add a material or no?

I made a couple of simple rules in the beginning and if this to go on they are to be followed. Lone Fisher you pick the next component please.

NOTE: From here on out if the next person assigned the next component doesn't add it within the alloted time which is 12hrs., I'll designated who's next.

Sorry I missed....thought I was done after the "Pale green antron" which I added several months back. ;)

Hook: Mustad 94840 #14

Thread: Light Olive

Tail: Pale green antron

Middle section of body: Fluorescent Pink Floss (middle 1/3)

Body: light olive ice dubbing. Dubbed lightly over hotspot

Mid-wing: bleached deer hair wing tied over mid point

Hackle (rear): under sized light blue dun tied in at tail and palmered over body to the mid-wing

Front hackles: one each grizzly and cinnamon

Front Wing: White and Dun CDC tied caddis style over hackle

Okay this fly now has the mass of two black holes, so my contribution is ...

Whip finish

TADA!

for pattern # 4. you are right, i have never seen this before.

pk3ahook.gif

kind of odd looking. what is the purpose of the bend at the eye - just out of curiosity?

Now if I told you that it would take the fun out of learning something new. I will tell you this one of my favourite patterns is tied on this hook.

hey flytyer what size did you want to use?

I edited the size in the other thread but it's going to be a size 16. A note about this hook as well you can't judge it's size but it's size number it's bigger than standards of the same size.