Fly Fusion Forums

Who Knows Bikes?!

Looking for a decent per owned mtn bike for my wife and came across a 2007 Giant Trance 3 for $800?!

Anyone got the goods on this particular model/price?!

Pink bike has a 2006 & 2008 $699 & $1200 respectively...

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2007&brand=Giant&model=Trance+3

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/6/24771/

Lemme know,

P

Hi Peter,

Through university I worked at a shop (sales/mechanic) who sold giant bikes. The trance model from is a good bike that was one of the early designs to use a virtual pivot point which doesn't rely on a fancy rear shock to reduce suspension bob. Giant is a huge company that makes frames for a number of other brands. They offer a good spec a decent price. The trance 3 would have been one of their lowest levels in the trance line and wouldn't have been over $2000 new. I would pass on that bike given it's age and the high asking price. There is a good chance you would have to replace the drivetrain, rebuild the front and rear shocks and possibly the pivots. It would depend on how much maintenance the bike received and how often it was used. Aluminum frames have a fatigue life and depending on how it was ridden it could be near the end. Hope that helps;)

• Like 1

Yeah without catching *hit for anything, eh! Wow!

Ok, how about this then. "C'mon man its for your wife, doesn't she deserve 'New'? don't be so cheap, sheesh only $800?, Think of how many rods you could ship to the US for that" :P

Sorry had too

• Like 1

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a chain measuring tool, take it with you. If the chain is very worn out, chances are that the drivetrain is too, in which case you need to tag on another $2-300 to replace it. If is isn't worn, test all the gears on your test ride by stomping on the pedals in each of them. If it skips, again, the drivetrain is worn.

If you can beg, borrow, or steal a chain measuring tool, take it with you. If the chain is very worn out, chances are that the drivetrain is too, in which case you need to tag on another $2-300 to replace it. If is isn't worn, test all the gears on your test ride by stomping on the pedals in each of them. If it skips, again, the drivetrain is worn.

This is great advice when you are checking out used bikes.

When I need to replace a drivetrain on my bike I buy stuff from chain reaction cycle out of the uk. Even with the weak dollar their prices on components (especially shimano) are way below local retail. Orders over $99 ship free and I haven't been charged duty yet (knock on wood). http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

This is great advice when you are checking out used bikes. When I need to replace a drivetrain on my bike I buy stuff from chain reaction cycle out of the uk. Even with the weak dollar their prices on components (especially shimano) are way below local retail. Orders over $99 ship free and I haven't been charged duty yet (knock on wood). http://www.chainreactioncycles.com

When I lived in the UK 10 years ago, Chainreaction was the go to place for all parts and I still have not seen anything come close to the pricing and service they give over here in North America.

Two thumbs up for Roast's reply!

• 2 weeks later...

I replace the chain and cogset on my winter and road bikes pretty well every year. I equate the it to changing the oil in your vehicle. It's easy, necessary maintenance and can make a bike feel like new. One of my road bikes is overdue and will be done before winter - got 2 yrs out of that cogset.

Using a chain measuring tool to gauge stretch, regularly wiping grease and grit off the chain, and keeping it lightly oiled will help the chain and cogset last longer.

I ride a few thousand km/yr.

I generally prefer Jenson USA over chain reaction, shipping times are typically 1-2 days to Calgary. They will price match Chain Reaction too.

I completely agree with Roast. Also, rear suspension design and bike geometry in general has come a long, long way since 2008. I find that used bikes in the Calgary can (but not always) be wildly overpriced, the less the seller knows about bikes the more overpriced the bike. If you find something you like, take a look at what they are selling for in other regions in Canada and the US.

One thing to consider is the intended use, if it's generally tame trails you should consider a hardtail (HT, front suspension only). They are less expensive, easier to maintain and easier to set up. I bought a HT with 29" wheels for my wife and she loves it, new it cost $700 or $800 and have since upgraded the fork and brakes once she got more into the sport. I ride a HT for everything around here as well except for full-on DH trails where I'll use my full suspension DH bike.