Fly Fusion Forums

Be Careful Out There

Guys/Gals,

1] A $ 1,000 US check got me $ 949.10 CDN when US vs CDN was 1.04

2] A $ 20.00 US money order cost me $ 24.98 CDN 2 days ago

3] A Pentax W 30 on Ebay is $ 280.00 + 15 shipping for $ 295.00

Same camera @ Blacks in Calgary is $ 299.99 - about 10 locations to serve you.

catch ya'

Don

Yeah...but that's the exception, not the rule.

I've been shopping for a DSLR (Nikon D40x) and have found that the camera can be delivered for 25-30% less than you can buy it in the store - and it usually comes with a 2GB card or a tripod or some other goodies.

I agree that we should all try to support local retailers, but I'm not up for shelling out an extra $300 to do so.

Been shoppin for a Pentax K10D with an upgraded kit lens etc; locally London Drugs, Blacks, Saneals.. about $1350. Through a Canadian Ebay Power seller outta Ontario with Canadian warranty $1026, no shipping ....guess which one I'm goin with?

**Edit** The $1026 is within 2 or 3% of US pricing but with Canadian not US warranty. Watch where the warranty is valid

1] A $ 1,000 US check got me $ 949.10 CDN when US vs CDN was 1.04

2] A $ 20.00 US money order cost me $ 24.98 CDN 2 days ago

That's because the banks have to get their share and it's seldom a fair share. You usually get a better exchange rate from a credit card company or paypal. On Oct 11 I paid for an ebay item through paypal which was 27.49US. Paypal debited my checking account for 27.50Cdn. On Oct 24 a 10.94US item cost me 10.91Cdn. The wife goes goes to the states shopping quite often. She found using her Canadian Tire Mastercard gave her a way better exchange rate than using her debit card. So she pays with that (plus gets her points on the card) and then comes home and pays it off from her checking account right away so there's no interest.

So if you buy in the US, using a bank for the transaction is the worst possible way you can do it.

The point is - - watch what you are doing. There are some real hidden costs of cross border shopping.

Do recall a guy telling me that he bought a travel trailer out of the states directly from the factory. Saved big bucks. And then he went along to tell me that warranty wouldn't be an issue as there was a dealer within 50 miles. You have to wonder how long the dealer will last if he can't sell his inventory.

Cutting off the dealer will cause him to fail. Sure he'd like to reduce prices but the currency thing has been going on for only a month or so & his inventory was purchased over the last year. He's loosing money hand over fist on each sale where he attempts to keep the differential between him and the factory low. Further, the factory will probably fail as well as their dealers disappear. Hopefully he makes it. Wouldn't want to see another business fail.

catch ya'

Don

Got a pair of Dan Baily guide model waders delivered to door in Reddeer for $350 last week. I didnt even bother shopping around in Calgary. I doubt if it could be beat.

...however my Springbrook waders developed a leak in the foot this summer. Kept them patched until I could get to Calgary. Dropped them off last week. There were no quesitons asked. They will be fixed this week and mailed out to me. Hard to beat local service like that.

i have been pricing out tires and rims here in alberta its gonna cost me about 2500$ 35x 12 sized tires down in the states i can get them for 1200 $ same with a winch and a bumper i can save about 1000 bucks there to

I just bought a set of snow tires in Montana for 300vs.600+ up here..

"Been shoppin for a Pentax K10D with an upgraded kit lens etc; locally London Drugs, Blacks, Saneals.. about $1350. Through a Canadian Ebay Power seller outta Ontario with Canadian warranty $1026, no shipping ....guess which one I'm goin with?"

If said "Canadian Ebay Power Seller" is Henry's be careful.........heard shady things about them.