Fly Fusion Forums

An Introduction/moving To Calgary

Hello,

It so happens life has brought me to Calgary through no choice of my own (you'll understand my apprehension soon.. ;) ) My girlfriend has taken a position at the UofC and we will be moving to Calgary for at least the next two years. The sad thing is that I am moving from steelheading heaven... Terrace BC . I have decided to make the best of it and try and get my head around the fishing in Southwestern Alberta/Calgary. I do not have much experience with the technical aspects of trout fishing (growing up in Newfoundland we fished for Atlantics and Sea Run Browns primarily and in Terrace Trout were pretty Suicidal for eggs and fry) but have already spent the last several months reading up and "think" I have a pretty good handle on things. However I realize the only way to get to truly know a fishery(I only have two years....) is to fish it with people who know it. So this is my plea to you. If you ever want or need someone row, someone to shuttle rafts with,someone to tie flies with, someone who won't think your crazy fishing at 3 am or in minus 3, someone to shoot the *hit with, maybe even some intelligent conversation(if that's what your into),, etc I am 100 % down for whatever. Also looking for peolpe to share gas for Skeena trips as there will be many. Going to be in Calgary for a few days in early August to find a place and then making the final move in early September. Hopefully September is going to be pretty open for me so I will have LOTS of time to get out and explore. So if you are free or have any wise words of wisdom feel free to get in touch. Looking forward to hopefully meeting many of you on the river soon!!

Phillip

Guest bigdirty

Welcome sir, you've come to the right place. Follow the conditions threads and you'll find what your looking for.

The Bow is a magical river if you take the time to get to know it. 2 years (alone) is not enough but a couple of months with some of the good folks here will certainly have you pointed down the right direction! If you ever get the urge to make a couple of hour trip south of Calgary drop me a PM and I can usually get out on a weekend.

Philip,

Any ideas what sector of the city you are going to move to? What age group are you in?

A couple of decades ago I made the move out here from the wet coast, and after only having to know depth and colour it can be a tough transition.

• Like 1

hopppppppeeerrr season!!!!

i too moved from BC to calgary a few years back. If it wasn't for the bow river being literally a 15 min drive from my house i would go crazy. Also when you make trips back to bc to go steelheading it makes it that much more special when the line screams!

tight lines

• Like 2

yeah dude the bow is a saving grace...the rainbows in the bow system came from a strain of steelhead(Mt.Lawson California) interesting fact that I take solace in..There are some whoppers..but obviously nothing that seems like the bottom of the river has come alive and takes off with your line ,,,moved here March of 13 and have pounded many beats..great fishing all year...hit me up when you get here we an go for a drift or a hike... both produce...I'm no expert but I hook-up and always looking to improve..one peace of advise while on foot tread lighty they are tight to the bank..always wanted to fish the skeena/babine going with a local would be awesome and would join you anytime..good luck with the move...

• Like 1

Welcome Phillip

Love to swap stories and even flies on occasion. Be happy to share a float especially in late fall. Also interested in sharing rides/gas to Skeena after I get back from my annual steelhead trip in late september. Drop me a PM if you want to connect and good luck finding a place