Fly Fusion Forums

North Sask. Land Use Plan Consultation Is Underway

Folks,

Here is how to be involved.

https://landuse.alberta.ca/Newsroom/Pages/PublicConsultations.aspx

Meetings all over Alberta plus workbooks for those unable to attend meetings.

Unlike other regional plans, this region is closest to the major populations.

It should be noted that the Southern Sask plan choked up a number of quadders/random campers with the recommendations.

Regards

Don

Uber..

Choked up they were. They thought that they were going to be controlled. The whining and bellyaching was loud and continuous. As yet, I'm not yet clear on just what will happen in the planning document but according to the rabble, the sky fell in.

Don

I hope the squeeky wheel doesn't get the grease, in this particular case...

Just my opinion and directed to the irresponsible quadders (not sure they can be separated out from the respectful quadders, in this circumstance, unfortunately)

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen irresponsible fishermen poaching. Not sure the poachers can be separated out from the respectful fishermen in this circumstance unfortunately... (see what I did there?)

Nothing wrong with regulating where people can and can't go quadding, just the same as there are regulations as to when and where you can fish. However, if you seek outright bans you will only affect the responsible quadders as the irresponsible ones will find ways to "make their own trails" and they will probably do it even deeper into the back country to decrease their chances of getting caught.

I've seen irresponsible fishermen poaching. Not sure the poachers can be separated out from the respectful fishermen in this circumstance unfortunately... (see what I did there?)

Nothing wrong with regulating where people can and can't go quadding, just the same as there are regulations as to when and where you can fish. However, if you seek outright bans you will only affect the responsible quadders as the irresponsible ones will find ways to "make their own trails" and they will probably do it even deeper into the back country to decrease their chances of getting caught.

Responsible quader's are about as common as palm tree's in Alberta. They did rally and get the most attention during the South Saskatchewan planning process, sounds as though any regulations are going to be very watered down as not to hurt feelings (it's their right to destroy the forestry after all). Designated trails, fees, and complete bans in sensitive areas are over due in this province. I've been noticing tracks up and down the rainbow trout spawning creeks this week once again, too much snow for them to get into the bull trout creeks still, always great to see........ I hope the few responsible guys out there are successful in cleaning up the quad culture, i just don't see it as gaining traction without an iron fist.

Designated trails, fees, and complete bans in sensitive areas are over due in this province.

We're in complete agreement on this. My point was that this is not a black and white issue as some people try to paint it with very broad strokes. In my time on the trails I've seen idiots on all sorts of motorized vehicles, and I've also seen fly fishermen casting over redds (go down to the ball diamonds in Douglasdale in the fall) or fishing barbed hooks. I won't even get into what we've all seen in some "hero" pics on this forum and others. There are bad apples in every bunch, but the thing is you don't see the responsible trail users because they're on the designated trails and not leaving a path of destruction in their wake.

Just go to http://trails4tomorrow.ca and look at the 5Es to see what our group is after. And in the interest of full disclosure - I do not own a quad, nor have I ever ridden on one.

• 1 month later...

Hey look, more responsible 4 wheelers driving through bull trout spawning creeks.. Another reason designated trails are needed across this province! About 9:50 shows what happens to stream banks, every time it rains you can watch the plume follow these trails..

Another reason designated trails are needed across this province!

Yup, totally agree with you 100%. Move designated trails to rocky areas that are sustainable. Want to keep a trail that crosses a bull trout or cutt stream? Build a bridge over it. We've offered to build our own bridges over stream crossings but ESRD won't let us for legal reasons - it's considered a "gift" and they aren't allowed to accept it. Yes, that's how our wonderful provincial government works. They won't build a bridge themselves because they don't have the money to do it and won't implement a trail user fee system (like fishing/hunting licenses) to pay for improvements and enforcement.

• 2 weeks later...