Fly Fusion Forums

Your Bow River One Fly Contest...

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

say you're restricted to one fly on the bow, be it a nymph, streamer, dry fly..anything..what would you use, and why? (i'd rather not have 100 replies about SJW's, even though we all know their effectiveness)

Also, anyone interested in having a little one fly contest, maybe before run-off next year. Get a bunch of guys on the forum to go out (can fish after you lose ur one fly, but they dont count anymore)...could be just a fun little thing

Guest Rocknbugs

If I could only use 1 fly, I would go with a Bow River Bugger white or black, or I would go with one of the Hares Ears I tie myself. I also like the idea of a 1 fly fishing contest and am in if it takes place.

Rock.

I've often thought about this. I call it my "desert island fly" ie if the Bow were on a desert island and you could only bring one fly...

For me it would undoubtly be a BH Prince. I've caught more fish on that thing than anything else, by far. The other day I was at Southland and caught 2 in a row on the Prince. I started switching it up just to see and nothing. I put the Prince on again and first cast...FISH ON! Incidentally, I've tried a SJW many times and nothing. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this fly...you guys seem to be having so much success with it.

As a variation I've thought about one fly from each category...Dry, Nymph and Streamer. For the dry category it would have to be an Elk Hair Caddis. I've never caught one on a streamer :-(

Interesting topic.