Fly Fusion Forums

Edumacate Me On Batteries Please

Ok so I need to purchase a battery for my electric motor (Minnkota Endura 30 lb thrust, I think) for my pontoon boat.

I'm totally confused with the whole Group this or Group that...

I know some people run motocycle batteries others run electric wheel chair batts (gels I think)... I'd rather go lighter if possible...

Can someone just tell me what to buy (Please keep it simple)?! I think Costco are the least expensive...

Thanks,

Peter

I run a nautilus deep cycle marine battery from Cdn Tire. it'll get me through a day with my 30lb thrust on my pontoon, as long as I'm trying to go full out all over the place. I'm not an expert on batteries by any means, but I've had good success with mine. I think the biggest thing is to get a deep cycle.

Ask a marine dealer and they'll explain it to you and also they can recommend what you need for what you have and how you will be using it. I'm not up to speed on marine batteries anymore.

amp/hrs is what I look at.Group 27 is about 100 -120, 31 is bigger but too big for a toon.

More importantly is going to be the weight and what its sitting on and how the boat balances.A grp 27 is 55 lbs so you'll be a little stern heavy with the motor and anchor.Pending on your boat size.

I believe the next smaller size deep cycle is still around 45lbs so no real savings.

I have an older 30 motor, I can easily drain it in a day on the river and since your not suppose to go less then 50% charge a 27 doesn't really last that long.I know the newer motors use much less power at low speeds my 55 on the boat uses less power then my older 30

Maximizer is what its called,made by Minncota.These newer motors use much less power at low speeds.

Another handy tool is a volt meter,cheap to buy they tell you what level your batteries at so you don't drain them too much..

I believe this is what kills deep cycle batts,take care of them and they will last.My last pair from Walmart are going on 5 years and are still strong.

That would be a great option if it wasn't for the $1000 + price tag for one!!

Buy a 2hp Honda short-shaft and you will not need one, weight=27lbs, runs all day and almost as quiet as electric

Only downfall of a small gas motor is that it can't be used on 'electric motor only' lakes (not sure how many there are in AB but lots in BC).

Electric motor with a Costco Group 27 battery works great on a pontoon, move your seat forward to balance out the weight distribution, have done it that way for years. Other options out there are wheelchair batteries (shorter life span between charges, but 1/2 the price and weight of a group 27 so technically you could buy 2 and keep a spare on shore) , or Lithium Ion batteries (very pricey $600 for the Torqueedo but small)

Colin