Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Live In Auburn Bay?

Tiny lots, some are decent but $$$$$$$, very limited access to lake. Boat use is 2 hr maximum. It does have decent rainbow trout, getting to them is a different story. For $900 a year to have lake access I'd rather spend it on gas to foothills.

I use to have a working relationship with one of the builders down there. Nice community but personally not my personal choice to live. I prefer more established communities. Bigger lots, a back lane, detached garage, and large backyard for the kids. Not interested in owning a home so close to the neighbour I can had them a cup of coffee through my window. The commute to work would add another 1 hour each day away from my family.

The problem with new homes is they are a more stressful and require a lot more of your time as there are tons of details you need to take care of during construction vs an existing home. Possession dates are usually 9 months to 12 months from date your contract is signed, and usually the builder will ask for extensions and you have no choice but to accept what happens.

Financing for a new home is high risk as well. I have seen the bank pull financing on people at the last minute which usually ends up having the builder sue you for the price of the house, plus legal fees and such. But for the most part things work out.

Good luck.

Black Ant

Thanks for the replies guys...

Muha, I'd like to say a trip to the foothills would be priority #1, but with a newborn I'm stuck to 2 hour or less sessions. So the 5 min drive to the bow, or 5 min walk with a belly boat to the lake is appealing to me. Got a question for ya though, Do the 2 hr boating restrictions apply to your personal watercrafts? ie. A belly boat or a canoe. Also, the $900 a year is for "shore access", do you know what that entails? It's not very clear on their site.

BA, Good tips. We were meeting with the builder to discuss financing, sale of our current home, moving, etc. I'm thinking if we decide to finance with them it would lock us into a good rate for a long time :), including the time it takes to build the place. We're looking at a possession date in September, so 5 months, which would work very well with our work schedules. As for the commute, it's 28ish minutes from Evergreen right now, so moving there would actually be faster to get to work down deerfoot at during my commute times (25ish mins at earlier times than the rush hours).

Red Beard,

I can discuss further about financing options if you like and that is my expertise. I would also be cautious about the 5 months as is just smells like a typical sales lie to get your business , 9 months is usually average from hole to move in, but there are some spec homes with quicker position so it is possible. Find out if that is a 6 month rate hold vs 90 days if it is 90 days or even 6 months you could be at risk for having financing fall apart especially if the possession date is extended. As well in most cases the builder will try to force you to use their financing inorder to purchase a home from them, and their overall mortgage product is very restrictive to give you that "Great Rate". Everyone focuses on rate instead of what kind of financing and options they really need.

Good luck.

Black Ant

Made a little mistake fee is 600, heritage point is 900.

Boat usage is 2 max for clubhouse boats. No idea if you can bring a tube. And if you do you have to go to reception then round the block to get to boat ramp. I don't know what to say, unless you live on the lake it is not worth it from fishing point of view. If you try to fish from shore anywhere but clubhouse dock, you'll get chased away.

Clubhouse has a nice beach and water park for kids. Once you step beyond the safety rope it's 2-3 feet of sticky mud.

I might sound a bit negative but that's how I see it at Auburn bay. Luckily bow river is nearby :)