Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boats

trevally

I am toying with the idea of buying a driftboat or pontoon boat next year and would love to hear some suggestions. I am lucky enough to go for a few floats a year with friends and really enjoy the whole experience. The fishing, the social atmosphere and the shore lunch always make for a great day.

I'd like to hear from other anglers why they like to float and what is there ideal boat (pontoon or drift)?

Guest bigbadbrent

They both have their advantages. Pontoons are good for fishing and drifting (once you're used to them) and you can get to some spots the drift boats cant. You can fish by yourself (not exactly recommended) with them.

Drift boats only really work if you have 2 guys, one on the oars, one fishing. So this throws a bit of fishing time out the window. But, you're up higher, easier to fish if you're not the guy on the paddles, you stay dry, etc

I have plenty of experience in both craft, on a few different rivers. Here's my take:

If I have to choose for fishing reasons, I prefer fishing in the pontoon. You're in charge of your own destiny, and fishing from a pontoon is easy and enjoyable. It's easier to launch, easier to carry, breaks down better, doesn't require a trailer, can be used on lakes and rivers, is better in the wind, and you can store it in a closet. Pontoons get into places driftboats can't. You can float rivers later in the season when driftboats can't get through.

However, if you've got two buddies and a full day, driftboat fishing is more comfortable, much more social, and if you're the one in the front and you've got a good oarsman, you'll catch more fish. A driftboat can quickly pull over to land a fish, while a pontoon has to float through more of the run. If you want to take a rookie on the river, a driftboat is the only way to go.

A driftboat is a great idea and I love fishing from them. However, a pontoon is a lot less dough and you'll get out fishing a lot more. You can get a really high end pontoon boat for less than your share of an entry level Hyde or Clacka.

My absolute favorite thing about the pontoons is that if 2 guys go, they can use different tactics and both fish at the same time. One guy can bomb the banks with streamers or hoppers, and the other guy can nymph deep seams. Those same two guys in a driftboat only have one rod in the water and are limited to one approach.

I prefer the comfort and extra space the drift boat offers. Plus in winter and early spring (March and April) on the west coast of BC getting into steelhead on the rivers is less comfortable on pontoons.

My brother went for a 15 foot inflatable style drift boat and had been thinking about selling it for pontoons, but a day landing over 30 steelhead put that from his mind pretty fast.

post-1001-1193379883.jpg

DRIFT BOAT no questions.

As stated you can't go alone - unless u use boat for access and do all fishing from shore. Best with 2 buds BOTH of whom can row!

Never really a problem - a quick post and you've got friends!

I've tried 'toons a couple of times and was never so frustrated fishing in my live - found it virtually impossible to control my drift - fins wouldn't 'catch' in turbulent water - so NOT FOR ME.

For lakes I much prefer my Zodiak.

A factor for me is, having had a hip replaced and a bum knee - i find i am more comfortable standing than sitting for long periods.

So, ya wanna buy a pontoon - Water Skeeter River Tamer????

I've had a pontoon boat for 4 or 5 years. I've only fished from a drift boat once and that was during spring runoff when the water was way too high and fast for my liking.I payed $400.00 for the pontoon boat out of the Bargain finder and I debated wether or not I would use it enough. The first year I probably made about 6 trips down the river. Now I make maybe 10 trips a year. I wouldn't have anywhere near as many trips if I had to rely on another person to row a drift boat. If the only person that I have to rely on for fishing is myself, I get out as planned. I have found that as soon as you involve a second person, something comes up. Either you get delayed or you dont go out at all. The thing I like most about the pontoon boat is that it breaks down small enough to fit in the back seat of my car,once you get to the river, assembly time is about 20 minutes. I have used it on small lakes as well as the Bow river. Granted there is a period of time required to learn how to fish from the boat. When you catch a fish and your floating south and the fish heads north and your trying to get to shore there is a lot of action happening.

I've got nothing against drift boats but in my mid there are a few drawbacks.

As I see it, the cost is one.

The boat and trailer need at least one secure parking place.

It takes a minimum of two people to use.

You need to shuttle a vehicle to the take out point.

You are restricted as to your launch and take out points.

Every one will have their opinions on this, this just my point of view.

Murray

I've had a pontoon boat for 4 or 5 years. I've only fished from a drift boat once and that was during spring runoff when the water was way too high and fast for my liking.I payed $400.00 for the pontoon boat out of the Bargain finder and I debated wether or not I would use it enough. The first year I probably made about 6 trips down the river. Now I make maybe 10 trips a year. I wouldn't have anywhere near as many trips if I had to rely on another person to row a drift boat. If the only person that I have to rely on for fishing is myself, I get out as planned. I have found that as soon as you involve a second person, something comes up. Either you get delayed or you dont go out at all. The thing I like most about the pontoon boat is that it breaks down small enough to fit in the back seat of my car,once you get to the river, assembly time is about 20 minutes. I have used it on small lakes as well as the Bow river. Granted there is a period of time required to learn how to fish from the boat. When you catch a fish and your floating south and the fish heads north and your trying to get to shore there is a lot of action happening.

I've got nothing against drift boats but in my mid there are a few drawbacks.

As I see it, the cost is one.

The boat and trailer need at least one secure parking place.

It takes a minimum of two people to use.

You need to shuttle a vehicle to the take out point.

You are restricted as to your launch and take out points.

Every one will have their opinions on this, this just my point of view.

Murray

hello Murray, sorry I was not able to get to the Bow this fall..but did pick up the drift boat.

You are correct about more fuss is needed to use one, and I guess if it were not for my wife coming along on my trips, I could just as easily have used a pontoon type boat...impossible to get her on the water without a real boat however...heck her idea was a jet boat and I might yet buy one of them as well, but for now we hope to get some use out of the drift boat on long trips down rivers mostly in northern BC...so we can pack more and it is a bit more comfy - but not at all impossible to do the same thing on a pontoon style boat either. Cost was not a factor in going for the drift boat.

Given the cost of one of the pontoons I had been thinking of buying one for smaller creeks and ponds I might have to hike in to as well. Pretty good value for that one you bought.

Still hope to be able to hook up with you for a float on the Bow this spring as I am certain I will learn a thing or two from you.

"So, ya wanna buy a pontoon - Water Skeeter River Tamer???? "

This is the boat i have and it's great. Easy to store and put together.

I have never had a problem with control wit hthe fins on so that shouldn't be an issue.

Once you learn the best ways to turn the boat it's gravy. You can go in a couple of inches of water i

you need to. I would suggest that you make sure you get an anchor and a rod holder as both will come in very handy. Mine has a motor mount for an electric for when i go on lakes.

The only problem i see with the kick boats is i like to land the fish between my legs. Would seem like just another obstruction to have the boat go all the way around.

Oh ya......get a long handled net as well. Lost alot of fish trying to land them with my wading net.

Ed

Thanks for all the input on this topic. I think I'll try to get out and try both next spring then make my decision but right now I think I'm leaning towards a pontoon boat due to the cost/portability/flexibility.

I checked out a lot of brands and saw a pretty cool one from cabela's....let's you cast from a standing position!

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0029984318484a.shtml

Thanks for all the input on this topic. I think I'll try to get out and try both next spring then make my decision but right now I think I'm leaning towards a pontoon boat due to the cost/portability/flexibility.

I checked out a lot of brands and saw a pretty cool one from cabela's....let's you cast from a standing position!

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0029984318484a.shtml

That's an excellent 'toon. One of the guys on here actually just sold one a little while back in the "Trading Post".