Fly Fusion Forums

Wood Countertops

Hey guys

Just moved into what started to be a cabin, which turned into my new house. I took on the project of building a solid maple coutertop which I finished which boiled lindseed oil, overall happy with the finish I ended up with, but...............................wondering about put a more durable finsh on it.....................anyone out there with experience of using a poly or other product over BLO.

I tryed a couple woodworking forums, but my question turned into a debate about is wood food safe and all other kinds of BS.

Thanks

Hey guys

Just moved into what started to be a cabin, which turned into my new house. I took on the project of building a solid maple coutertop which I finished which boiled lindseed oil, overall happy with the finish I ended up with, but...............................wondering about put a more durable finsh on it.....................anyone out there with experience of using a poly or other product over BLO.

I tryed a couple woodworking forums, but my question turned into a debate about is wood food safe and all other kinds of BS.

Thanks

If your not into regular maintaince with beeswax etc.. I would think one of our commercial wood flooring finishes would be the ticket.

Low voc' highly abrasion resistant, non yellowing. Water base so it drys quick, I'd put about 5 coats on. You can apply right over your current finish and it will still cure.

Pm me and I will give you my number and hook you up.

Only if this is of interst of course.

Dave

EFF

Thanks for the offer, but I'm on the other side of the world, I will look into water based finishes, thou.

HGH

I tryed Polymized Tung Oil of a test piece, didn't like the brown tinge I got from it, looking more for a honey color, which BLO gave me. Is this Wiki Tung oil cut with varnish (google can't find it), if not the finish would be no more durable than the BLO, would it?

Are you planning on using the counter as a cutting board too? My son in Petty Harbour just did his about a year ago and he made an insert for use as the cutting board which is treated with beeswax while the rest a wipe on finish we got here from Lee Valley. He says it's standing up well.

Are you planning on using the counter as a cutting board too? My son in Petty Harbour just did his about a year ago and he made an insert for use as the cutting board which is treated with beeswax while the rest a wipe on finish we got here from Lee Valley. He says it's standing up well.

No, I got the drop from my sink cut-out that I'm gonna use as a cutting board.

Missy is scared to ruin the top from water and day to day kitchen stuff. Maybe It will hold up just fine, just don't want to find out the hard way.

The stuff we got was also used on landing nets we made from laminated wood so the water wasn't an issue; they have not needed to be refinished as of yet. When I get a chance I'll look for the item number and send it off to you. Are you still in the Quidi area?

Anything I've read recommends Tung oil and regular maintenance. The finish is water resistant only, so spills must cleaned promptly. Also trivets must be used with hot pots and be careful with metals as they could stain. That's the downside, the upside is the top will develop a beautiful patina over time along with great character..

Cheers Mike