Fly Fusion Forums

Cooking Beef Shank Center Cut, Input

Howdy, to you fishers who can cook, I want to play with some bone in center cut beef shanks. As much as the slow cookers and dutch ovens are great, I want to play with the BBQ and some smoke. Being the shank I would think it will need breaking the tissue down with a beef stock boil for a while, with the veggies and herbs, then I thought of indirect heat low and long on the BBQ with maybe a bit of smoke. Any recipe or feedback is welcome. Thx

I'd make some soup/stew out of that. Without a profesional smokehouse it's a waste of time and good meat.

Try some basic dry rub, salt/pepper/garlic leave it overnight. Give it a rinse under cold water and use some towel paper to pat it dry then put it into bbq for a smoke session 4-6 hours of good cold(it's not actualy cold, more like warm) smoke. Then make some stew :)

• Like 1

How big (thickness) is the meat? That will tell you how long to smoke for. Fibres in the shank are pretty big so you don't need a long smoke like you would with brisket (18 to 20 hours), I would rub them well, let them sit for 24 hours at least to start breaking down some of the connective tissue and the smoke in a 170 to 200 degree F. smoker for 6 to 8 hours to get an internal temp of 210 degrees F. You might find that you have to do a little trial and error with timing depending on your smoker and such.

Colin

• Like 1