Fly Fusion Forums

Rods For Salt And Fresh ?

Thought I would ask, when I fish the Fraser slightly inland I use my regular 8 or 10 weight rod. The water there is quite brackish, sp?, I always rinse it off after the the day. If I was to go on a salt water fishing trip, I would just use my rod and find a salt capable reel. Or should a guy be looking at fly rods designed and sold for salt?? The wtb salt rod and reels in trading post motivated this.

Reels are more susceptible to salt corrosion than rods, although I have seen guides go rapidly on cheap rods. You should not have a problem with a good quality rod. Look for a reel built for both salt and fresh that won't corrode easily. Islander's and Loop are my fav for salt. Nautilus and Ross also get great reviews. No matter what equipment you use though always rinse at the end of the day if possible, I take my reels apart to flush the insides.. Saltwater fishing tests reels in ways that freshwater fishing does not. Reel breakage is common, durability and performance of your reels is truly essential so look at good large arbor that can be retrieved quickly. I give my reels a coat of Buthchers Wax as added protection and keep the workings properly oiled and greased. I tend to change the lubes after a salt trip.

I'm sure others will chime in with great advice.

• Like 1