Fly Fusion Forums

Approaching A Landowner/traversing Private Property

scel

I know that an angler is legally permitted to travel up and down a river within the high water mark. There are a couple of spots on Google Maps that have rural roads approaching with a few hundred metres of a river. I would hazard that it is private land between the road and the river.

In the event that one would like to traverse a landowner's property, what is the best way to get permission?

Approaching a random house seems kind of creepy. I must admit, I look pretty harmless, but still...

Any advice?

Just go and ask, be polite and go at a reasonable time of day. On busy rivers or in very tight knit communities (area around Caroline comes to mind for me) you may get shut down, but no harm in trying. Unfortunately people buy land along many of our best rivers and expect to have their own private fishing spot. All you can do is ask. If you'd rather, go to the county office and purchase a landowner map, look the numbers up via a phonebook and call for permission. I had a landowner on the Oldman go as far as giving me permission to drive in and camp a few years back, 90% of landowners are easy going. Likewise be respectful of the non-accommodating landowners. On one section of the Crow I grew up fishing, I have to walk about 2 km to a particular spot now as an investor from the city bought the land and doesn't want anyone cutting across. It happens but try to be respectful as we can always hope in time they realize fly fisherman aren't really that bad of a bunch and access may be once again accommodated.

• Like 1

Just go and ask, be polite and go at a reasonable time of day. On busy rivers or in very tight knit communities (area around Caroline comes to mind for me) you may get shut down, but no harm in trying. Unfortunately people buy land along many of our best rivers and expect to have their own private fishing spot. All you can do is ask. If you'd rather, go to the county office and purchase a landowner map, look the numbers up via a phonebook and call for permission. I had a landowner on the Oldman go as far as giving me permission to drive in and camp a few years back, 90% of landowners are easy going. Likewise be respectful of the non-accommodating landowners. On one section of the Crow I grew up fishing, I have to walk about 2 km to a particular spot now as an investor from the city bought the land and doesn't want anyone cutting across. It happens but try to be respectful as we can always hope in time they realize fly fisherman aren't really that bad of a bunch and access may be once again accommodated.

I have good manners and a pleasant demeanor---I guess that I will just have to put them to good use. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Scel,

Here are some pointers

1) remove your sun glasses when approaching landowners

2) ask where you can park to be out of the way

3) give them an estimate of your time there

4) thank them for access upon entry and upon leaving

5) wait a several days and go back again.

6) watch what you wear - camo clothing and packing an assault rifle will go no where - similarly a backwards cap, jacked up trucks make a piss poor first impression

7) ask them if there are issues with their animals. A cranky bull makes for an exciting day.

8) do not light a fire for any reason - smokers are an issue for some southern landowners

And lastly, if you see something that the landowner should know about - stop fishing and tell them.

Do recall an incident when I walked back to my truck. The landowner was trying to install a rad into a cat. He had it suspended from a picker. He would adjust the picker and crawl off to check line up. I watched this while walking towards him. Took off my gear, grabbed a bolt and we had it positioned in minutes. Took me maybe 10 minutes - got me access forever.

Don

• Like 3

Like albertatrout said, be polite and smile. What's the worst they can do? (Well, there is a guy on the Crow who might get his gun out. :) Seriously.)

Make some "business cards" (don't use your work ones) with your name, home town, cell phone and you can even put your license plate number on it...maybe a nice graphic of a bird.

A short session of "small talk" is okay, but don't stretch it. If they seem chatty, express interest in something about their place or what they are doing at the time. Scratch the dog's ear. "Nice weather" (unless it's just rained 3 inches and he or she is haying.) "Nice dog." "Nice garden."

Just be "nice" and polite.

Take your Alberta NDP bumper stickers off your van. (Same goes for PETA stickers.) ;)

Clive

• Like 3

Like albertatrout said, be polite and smile. What's the worst they can do? (Well, there is a guy on the Crow who might get his gun out. :) Seriously.)

Make some "business cards" (don't use your work ones) with your name, home town, cell phone and you can even put your license plate number on it...maybe a nice graphic of a bird.

A short session of "small talk" is okay, but don't stretch it. If they seem chatty, express interest in something about their place or what they are doing at the time. Scratch the dog's ear. "Nice weather" (unless it's just rained 3 inches and he or she is haying.) "Nice dog." "Nice garden."

Just be "nice" and polite.

Take your Alberta NDP bumper stickers off your van. (Same goes for PETA stickers.) ;)

Clive

I like the idea of the business cards with a graphic on it. Pretty clever Clive, I imagine having your contact info would help put them at ease.