Fly Fusion Forums

Going South Finally

Teck71

Hi All,

Looking for a little Advice.

After spending most of my summer fishing north of the weir and in central AB. I have Finally got the time to head south. I am thinking Crowsnest Saturday and Oldman or Highwood Sunday. (crashing at night in the Van. It's about where ya fish not where ya sleep) so I have the ussually question about decent access point there and places where I can park the Van, Grab a couple hours sleep before heading out again

Any advice will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Teck

i'll reply while it is still in the wrong spot. lol

the castle is beautiful, try access east of 507 from the bridge and head southeast (should be down stream if i remember correctly) the turn off is just north of the town of beaver mines. we never made it as far as the canyon as there are a ton of pools. one of these days i will get down that far. next season i guess.

you can also try the carbondale, good access - gas plant road and lots of camping spots.

if you want the FTR, try dutch or racing horse - both have campsites and are north of hwy 3. on the way you can try the livingstone and again there is access from FTR at the bridge

good fishing

pick up a backroads mapbook for southern alberta. cost you about $20 and most fly shops carry them (among other stores). super handy for checking out access points along all the streams. unfortunately i haven't fished much in the area so not sure about conditions down there.

good luck!

There are no fish in Southern Alberta. We are all lying & we only fish the Red Deer river just below Dixon Dam.

Just kidding Teck, if you wanna fish the Highwood, anywhere betwen Longview & Cat Creek is good. The Crow is good anywhere downsteam from E Hillcrest Bridge. Below the Lundbreck falls you will find there are Browns & Bulls (as well as everything else) but above the falls you can expect Rainbows & Rockies (*primarily*) I would suggest that if you fish the Crow & are not having much luck, move. I don't think that dries will be a way to spend much time at the moment. Call Vic at the Crowsnest Angler for more up-to-date info on the Crow, and most of all, have fun!

Good Luck!