Fly Fusion Forums

New To Calgary

threeparrots

Hello.. just moved in from Ontario a few weeks ago and finally getting the itch to get into some fish. However.. a few problems! I'm from southern Ontario, which means no trout only bass, pike, etc. I do have some flies but perhaps not the most ideal ones. I live in NW and would like to know some general areas to begin fishing.. somewhere that has the potential to produce.

I saw some folks fishing down under the bridge on highway 16 and the bow. Would this be a good spot to begin? Dry flies or nymph? What flies?

Sorry for the questions.. I'm used to throwing poppers or big flies and easily smashing bass.

Thanks

Hello.. just moved in from Ontario a few weeks ago and finally getting the itch to get into some fish. However.. a few problems! I'm from southern Ontario, which means no trout only bass, pike, etc. I do have some flies but perhaps not the most ideal ones. I live in NW and would like to know some general areas to begin fishing.. somewhere that has the potential to produce.

I saw some folks fishing down under the bridge on highway 16 and the bow. Would this be a good spot to begin? Dry flies or nymph? What flies?

Sorry for the questions.. I'm used to throwing poppers or big flies and easily smashing bass.

Thanks

I too just moved from Southern Ontario Sep 1st. There is amazing trout fishing in Southern Ontario. The Grand River, Maitland, Credit, Humber, Saugeen, many lakes in Algonquin Park and hundreds more. Most rivers attached to the great lakes have trout in them. I have fished many hours in Alberta sine I have got here and it is a tricky area. I also live the NW and the bridge at 16 sucks. The Bow is a great river if you spend time figuring it out. Shoot me a PM and I will help you out with what I have found for spots. I am always willing to go out if you are looking for a partner.

I too just moved from Southern Ontario Sep 1st. There is amazing trout fishing in Southern Ontario. The Grand River, Maitland, Credit, Humber, Saugeen, many lakes in Algonquin Park and hundreds more. Most rivers attached to the great lakes have trout in them. I have fished many hours in Alberta sine I have got here and it is a tricky area. I also live the NW and the bridge at 16 sucks. The Bow is a great river if you spend time figuring it out. Shoot me a PM and I will help you out with what I have found for spots. I am always willing to go out if you are looking for a partner.

If you think the fishing there is amazing, wait until you get things figured out on some different streams here! I never realized how spoiled I was for trout fishing living in Alberta until I had to spend a year and a half in southern Ontario lol. That being said, perhaps I just didn't take enough time to learn it all there.

Thanks

The Bow River in the city or south of the city can be really good, although it can be a tough river to learn. I'd recommend hitting any streams west of highway 22 and south of Calgary, the majority of the mountain streams can provide great fishing.

As for flies, small nymphs are almost always effective on trout waters. A good bet would be to go into one of the cities shops and get some advice while picking them out. Good luck!

nymphs? isn't that cheating anywhere west of 22? Why would you nymph when you could watch the take? Couldn't imagine going to those streams intending to nymph...Sorry, to each his own but id rather get skunked on a dry or swing. Leave them poor cutties alone

• Like 2

nymphs? isn't that cheating anywhere west of 22? Why would you nymph when you could watch the take? Couldn't imagine going to those streams intending to nymph...Sorry, to each his own but id rather get skunked on a dry or swing. Leave them poor cutties alone

Well it depends on the season. In the summer I'm solely focussed on dry flies, but as we get later into fall I'm finding the surface action to be more sporadic and I've been fishing nymphs more. When looking at all streams including the Bow, nymphs are much more versatile.

I fish "West of #22" a lot and still have good success without using a nymph rig. I consider "Hopper/ Dropper" an acceptable ploy but I still have good success with only dries. This season may be an exception as the surface bugs are minimal...very few hatches, very few rising fish....sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do if ya wanna catch fish. Still....nothing better than watching a cutty take a dry!! Call me a "Purist"!!! :)

• Like 2