Fly Fusion Forums

Soft Hackle Flies

bigalcal

I picked up a couple of soft hackle BWO flies the other day and I have never fished them before, With the lack of rising fish recently on the mountain streams and BWO's in the air I thought these may be another option. What is the best way to fish them?

Thanks....

The classic way is to cast them quartering down and across and swinging them. You will detect bites usually as it starts is bottom swing and then on the dangle. Another way I really like is casting upstream like a dry fly and gather line to keep a good contact between you and the flies. I will fish braces of flies of different sizes till the Trout tell me what they like. Often I add split shots or use a short added sink tip.

I tend to break down the water in two parts, upstream and down on smaller streams. I love casting up as I walk upstream and then swing down as I work my way back. This certainly changes for me on bigger waters as an upstream cast with a deep drift and then swing is more my norm. I often change thing up through.

Fishing soft hackles has gone out of style nowadays it was quite the norm back when I started.