Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Guide Recommendation

DRock

Well next week is my 31st birthday. The boss gave me tha a-ok to do a full day guided drift as my birthday present.

I'm really hoping that the weather is nice as my fishing anytime I want when I want is coming to an end because come November we have a little girl on the way

Any recommendations for a good guide at a reasonable rate?

I was also thinking me and the pregnant wife could go but I think there might be safety concerns regarding that so I may be on my own

Your opinions please

Thank you

I would check with fish tales and see if they have a open spot. Might be hard to find a trip on such short notice. The guides should be booked up cause this missed 20 some days from the flood but always wroth a phone call and a try. Ask for terry Johnson at fish tales he's a really good guide.

Depending on how along your wife is I can't see any real safety issues.... if she is scheduled to deliver in the next two weeks, then ya you might want to go with out here, but if she can comfortably stand for long periods then no problems.

That said my wife hasn't been pregnant, but I have had a lot of people in 100's of drifts in my boat and never had a safety issue that would affect a pregnant lady.

Ultimately your call and your protection priorities for your wife are probably at an 11 out of 10.

I'd give Josh Nugent a call at Out Fly Fishing.

You did not mention a particular river so.... The Elk river has been fishing great for Cutthroat. Your wife would love the trip on a mountain river in fall colors. After the fishing take her out for dinner in Fernie to one of the fine local restaurants. Epic trip to remember for both of you. Best guides on the river would be Vic Bergman and the boys from Crowsnest Angler!

Well next week is my 31st birthday. The boss gave me tha a-ok to do a full day guided drift as my birthday present.

I'm really hoping that the weather is nice as my fishing anytime I want when I want is coming to an end because come November we have a little girl on the way

Any recommendations for a good guide at a reasonable rate?

I was also thinking me and the pregnant wife could go but I think there might be safety concerns regarding that so I may be on my own

Your opinions please

Thank you

Once a year I usually take my wife for a float. She has arthritis and isn't highly mobile. The biggest hazard for her is getting in and out of the boat and slipping on a wet rock. Once in the boat all is well. If you do take her, you might want to have both you and the guide help her in and out. Slip and falling I'd definitely something to aviod while pregnant.

So I ended up deciding on Saturday that we wanted to go on a full day float on Sunday.

Called up fish tales and they helped us out right away even with such short notice it was great that they could help us out.

Set us up with Mike Algar. Great guide. Totally recommended. Got us into a tonne of fish and really receptive to what we were ultimately wanting out of this drift. (Lots of fish on dries)

Will be definitely requesting Mike for future guides and corporate team building activities when I set them up!

• Like 3