Fly Fusion Forums

Whitefish Catches On The Bow Since Flood Event

Hi,

Just wondering if the number of Whitefish caught since the flood had dropped. I can't seem to find any lately. I would enjoy reading your feedback and experiences on your catches of RMW in the Bow River. Thanks.

What part of the Bow are you fishing?

We should see the numbers increase as they stage for the fall spawn as the water in the Bow cools. Should be a better indicator of numbers then. Have to look back on my diary and see when nubers usually spike and compare. They do like the cooler water so check you temp. It is a strange year and I’ve still trying to get a grip on the “new Bow river”.

I'm sure they took a hit saw far more suckers face whites etc than trout at the couple of fish rescues earlier this year but I don't know the overall trout to whitefish sucker ratio pre flood... I always assumed they outnumbered them way more. hope to get some Electro shocking data this year could be interesting

Interesting. The RDR 2005 flood of relative proportions nuked the whites and they really haven't come back. They used to be black in the runs (like salmon rivers) under the boat and now you rarely see many. Are the floods and sediment loads to blame or are the floods unearthing something more sinister in Alberta?

I have caught a few whitefish on nymphs this year on the NW stretch, but I think its just being in the right place at the right time. More or less a bit lucky. The numbers on this stretch went down years ago, and have not yet recovered. Just my opinion, though.