Fly Fusion Forums

Rathcon, County Wicklow, Ireland

albannachxcuileag

I clipped this from our UK forum.

You have all read posts from me blethering about how good this little fishery is, well here are a few views of the fishery. It is 8 1/2 acres of the most well thought out and designed water I have ever fished.

Fish quality is second to none due to the fish being conditioned in natural ponds for up to a year before becoming lake inhabitants.

Enjoy

The only other fishermen apart from myself today

DSCF0293.jpg

Looking out from the fisherman's hut

DSCF0283.jpg

Looking back to the hut

DSCF0289.jpg

A view towards the dam end

DSCF0290.jpg

From the right of the dam

DSCF0300.jpg

Another view back from the spit of land on the right of the above photo

DSCF0295.jpg

and one of the four quality fish I netted today, it might look small in the photo but tipped the scales at 3lb of fighting muscle.

All my fish, including the ones I lost and the big b*gger who straightened the hook at the net were all taken on a HE para size 14 on the rise. Great day!

DSCF0294.jpg

Looks like a unique fishing experience. Thanks for the pics.... So if someone from Canada wanted to fish there would it be possible? and if so what sorta costs would one be looking at. I only ask because the UK is often refered to as a difficult place to access fishing waters..... Though that may be more for flowing waters then still waters.

Looks like a unique fishing experience. Thanks for the pics.... So if someone from Canada wanted to fish there would it be possible? and if so what sorta costs would one be looking at. I only ask because the UK is often refered to as a difficult place to access fishing waters..... Though that may be more for flowing waters then still waters.

Lonefisher,

River fishing anywhere in the UK or Ireland is mainly controlled by riparian land owners or fishing associations. Access to the rivers can be had if you purchase a visitors day ticket or weekly ticket, these do not cost much and you do not need guides either. Most still water fishing is privately owned and the same scheme works on them but they can be very crowded at times like bank holidays. In Ireland boats on most of the lochs are private boats and it helps if you know someone with a boat or hires them out.

Fishing the likes of the Tweed for Salmon can cost you an arm and a leg, the most famous beat on the Tweed, The Junction Pool (the meeting of the Tweed and Teviot Rivers at Kelso), will cost you an arm and two legs. If I remember rightly, when I lived in the Scottish Borders it used to cost £7.000 a week.

There are many small fishing lakes owned and maintained by the fishing associations that are available to visitors, booking in advance is preferable to make sure you have access.

Fishing the likes of Loch Leven is done through the Green Hotel.

Hope this gives a little insight to fishing the UL and Ireland, much more information can be found surfing the net and through holiday companies.

TLs

PS - fishing the likes of Rathcon is no problem, phone in advance and pay on the day.

where are the sheep?

Ahhhhh......you want to be looking to Wales for sheep.......they are stopping me getting home right now........

home.jpg

I'm sure the third from right is smiling at me......the cute one (although they are all cute)......

On a web site I viewed recently it said there is about 2.9 million people living in Wales which only makes up 5% of the UK population - but on a positive note we have over 10 million sheep in Wales :)

We used have a bit of a saying here in Wales:

WALES - WHERE MEN ARE MEN AND SHEEP ARE WORRIED !!!!!!

Welcome to Wales........as long as you are fluffy !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...