Fly Fusion Forums

Repairing Boots

Hello while fishing on Sunday the felts on the bottom of my right boot came half off. I fished the rest of the day but it was flapping on the bottom like a dogs tongue.

I am planning to buy some sort of glue to put the felt back on and then wrap some fishing line around it to hold the felt in place while the glue sets.

I am wondering has anyone had any experience with this and if so what sort of glue/epoxy did you use?

Thank You,

Russ

The fishing hole has a water proof contact cement that I have used couple of times and it works great. Just give everything a light sand and apply contact cement to both surfaces and let dry and stick to each other.. When I stuck them toghter I then clamped it over night was good to go and that was last season.

• Like 1

Perfet thanks guys. I think I will stop at home depot and grab some gorilla glue and sandpaper. Probably use some fishing line and a set of chains to replace the clamps as I have them available.

Thanks a lot for the tips everyone.

The correct kind of glue that comes with the felt resole kits is called Barge cement and is available at Tandy Leather on Macleod trail or at MEC. It helps to have the surfaces as clean as possible, sand the soles if possible.

I've resoled my own three times

• Like 1

That is awesome information guys. Thanks for all the tips.

I cleaned them real nice tonight so I need to let them dry.

I also stopped and got two clamps, some sandpaper and some gorilla glue. Given that I have the Gorilla Glue I will probably give it a shot first. I usually don't fly fish during the winter so it may be a good solution.

If it isn't then I will probably go grab some Barge cement like you suggested alan2. Thanks again for posting the video.

And to everyone else for their opinions and experiences.

Okay perfect, thank you for the tip.

I was going to read the directions but I will make sure the clamp is just tight enough to ensure full contact between the felt and the sole.